Users rarely take care of their equipment, do not clean the cooling system of the video card from dust and do not change the thermal paste on time. For these reasons, the card overheats and problems begin. Stripes appear on the screen, the computer slows down, the image disappears from the screen, etc. This indicates problems with the video card, by and large, you need to replace the card in the system unit and this will be the right solution. But we all understand that the cost of a new video card is very high, and it is very difficult to replace it in a laptop. Therefore, we have to look for another way to solve the problem, albeit temporarily. Oddly enough, an overheated video card is restored by reheating. It is necessary to warm up the solder of the video card chip in order to restore all contacts and thereby return the video card to work. This can be done at home, there are several proven and fairly popular methods among amateurs.
However, you should remember that this is a temporary solution to the problem. After warming up, the video card will be able to perform its functions again, but there is no guarantee that it will work for a long time. Someone enjoys the work of a video card for a year or two, someone has problems starting in a week, a month or even a day. As a temporary solution, warming up can be called expedient. To perform the operation, you can use as many as 5 different techniques.
Method 1: with a soldering iron
Enthusiasts have determined that you can warm up and restore a video card yourself, using a simple soldering iron that most of us have at home. If you don’t have a soldering iron, you can buy one at your nearest electronics store. This method cannot be called ideal, but if you do everything correctly, then you will be able to warm up and restore the video card, both computer and on the laptop motherboard. To warm up, follow these steps:
- Get to the graphics card chip. To do this, remove the cooling system from the card, along with the heatsink and fans. In a laptop, the work is more difficult, but the essence is the same, you need to get to the video card chip of your device.
- Turn on and warm up the soldering iron.
- Take the solder and place a small piece of it on the chip.
- Touch the soldering iron to the solder to melt it.
- Hold the soldering iron on the molten solder, trying not to touch the chip itself for a minute.
It is important that you do not give too high a temperature when heating, this is the main difficulty. By using solder, you maintain exactly the temperature needed to restore the integrity of the same solder inside the chip. In some cases, you have to hold the soldering iron for more than a minute, it all depends on the size of the pad, which you are confused to warm up.
Method 2: soldering station
If you have a soldering station at your disposal, then there should be no problems with warming up the video card. The advantage is that here you can create a flow of air of a certain temperature, which is what we need to do. To warm up, you need to first get to the video card chip by removing all parts of the laptop case and the cooling system from the discrete computer card. After that, we turn on the soldering station at a temperature of about 250 degrees and start heating the board from the bottom, under the location of the main chip. Warming up the board in this position for 2-3 minutes, you can repeat the procedure by directing the air for 2 minutes from above, that is, directly onto the video chip.
This method is one of the most reliable and is used by masters from service centers. Its only problem is that not everyone has a soldering station at home, and it is simply not advisable to purchase it for a one-time warm-up of the video chip. That is why this method is not suitable for everyone.
Method 3: ironing
Oddly enough, a simple household iron can be an ideal tool for warming up a video card. A fully heated iron has a surface temperature of 230 to 250 degrees, which is what we need. At the same time, due to its sharp nose, the iron allows you to warm up only the chip, without heating the circuit board around and eliminating damage to electronic components. But you need to heat the video chip with an iron correctly, to do this, follow these steps:
- Remove the cooling system and clean the chip from residual thermal paste.
- Create a backing foil structure with multiple layers.
- Place the video card on this foil backing with the chip facing up.
- Heat the iron to maximum temperature.
- Touch the tip of the iron to the video chip and warm it up for about 4-5 minutes.
Make sure that the iron only comes into contact with the video chip and does not come into contact with the board in any way, otherwise it can be damaged. Also pay attention to whether your iron does not have an automatic shutdown function, this may interfere with the procedure for a long time.
Method 4: with a hairdryer
A simple household hair dryer cannot provide the required temperature to melt the solder inside and under the chip. It is necessary to use a building hair dryer.
How to do it:
- You need to take a video card, remove the cooling system from it and gain access to the chip.
- After that, find a small box that would fit the board with the chip.
- Place the video card inside the box, chip up, and make a hole in the lid so that the hair dryer fits snugly into it.
- Turn on the hair dryer and direct it inside the box for a few minutes. The temperature there will constantly rise and in such conditions the video card will warm up.
Method 5: in the oven
The oven will be a good solution to the problem, there you can control the heating temperature and achieve good results. But the process requires adherence to some rules. You only need to warm up the video chip itself, not the entire board and electronic components that are on it. Since the oven heats up in a large area, it is difficult to avoid this, but it is possible. Follow these steps:
- Free the graphics card from the cooling system.
- Wrap the video card in several layers of foil, leaving only the video chip itself visible.
- Take a baking sheet and place 4 foil balls on top of it.
- Place the video card on the foil balls so that the board does not touch the baking sheet itself.
- Place the resulting structure in the oven.
- Set the temperature to 250 degrees and select the upper heating mode. If there is no such mode, then you can warm up without it.
- Warm up the card for 25 minutes.
It is important that you install the board in a cold oven, do not preheat it before heating starts, otherwise the card will simply deteriorate. You need to warm up for 25 minutes in general, do not wait for the moment when the temperature rises to 250 degrees. At the maximum temperature, the card should be heated for no more than 10 minutes.