6 ways to fix Windows update error 0xc190012e
0xc190012e is one of the errors that can occur when installing new Windows updates. As an alternative message there will be an inscription about the impossibility of updating. Usually the installation indicator reaches 100%, after which it crashes and this window appears.
As with many other Windows errors, there can be several reasons. From trite network connection failure to serious damage to system files. Below are several methods for solving the problem, the effectiveness of which depends on each individual case.
Solution 1: use the Windows Update troubleshooter
If you ever get errors with Windows updates, the first thing to try is troubleshooting with the built-in tool. This method does not always solve the problem, but it can indicate its causes.
- Right-click on the Windows icon (bottom, left) and select Control Panel.
- Go to the Troubleshooting section.
- Select Troubleshoot with Windows Update.
- In the new window, click Next and wait for the diagnostics to finish.
Solution 2. Disable third-party antivirus
In some cases, third-party antivirus is one of the reasons for a failed Windows update. Therefore, you should temporarily disable it and try downloading the update again. If the installation is successful, you should think about changing your antivirus software. As a last resort, there is always Windows Defender built in.
Solution 3: Perform a clean boot
You can do it like this:
- Right click on the Windows icon and select Run.
- Enter the msconfig command and press Enter.
- In the system configuration window that opens, go to the Services tab.
- Check the box next to Hide all Microsoft services, and disable the rest of the services by clicking Disable all.
- Click apply.
- Next, go to the Startup tab and call the Task Manager.
- In the new window, disable all processes that start with the system.
- Then go back to the System Configuration window and go to the Boot tab.
- Select the Secure Boot check box, select network connectivity and boot history.
- Click Apply and Ok.
- After restarting your computer, try installing the update again.
Solution 4. Fix corrupted system files
If some of your Windows system files are damaged, the OS will not be able to properly complete the standard update process.
- Right-click on the Windows icon and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- In the opened system window, enter the command sfc / scannow
- Press Enter, wait for the diagnostics to finish and reboot the system.
If the SFC scan failed to repair the corrupted system files, reopen the command prompt as administrator, and enter the following commands, pressing Enter after each:
- Dism / Online / Cleanup-Image / CheckHealth
- Dism / Online / Cleanup-Image / ScanHealth
- Dism / Online / Cleanup-Image / RestoreHealth
Solution 5: Reset Windows Update components
There are dozens of services running on Windows to keep the operating system working properly. For example, BITS is responsible for downloading data in the background, so if it is not running, the update will fail. So, resetting BITS and other related services can help remedy the situation.
- Open a command prompt as administrator, as in the previous option.
- Enter the following commands, pressing Enter after each one.
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptSvc
- net stop bits
- net stop msiserver
- ren C: \ Windows \ SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
- ren C: \ Windows \ System32 \ catroot2 Catroot2.old
- net start wuauserv
- net start cryptSvc
- net start bits
- net start msiserver
- Reboot your computer.
Solution 6: Download the update manually
If Windows does not update automatically through the settings menu, you can try doing it manually as follows:
- Right click on the Windows icon and select Control Panel.
- Go to the Windows Update section, and then to View the update log.
- Make a note of the download code that you can’t install.
- Go to catalog Microsoft Update.
- Enter the code of the problematic update into the search bar on the right.
- Select the 64-bit or 32-bit version of the update (depending on your OS) and download it.
- After that, double click on the installer and follow the instructions on the screen.
- Reboot your computer.