Error 0x800f0950 while installing .NET Framework – Fixed
Error code 0x800f0950 tends to appear on both Windows 10 and Windows 11 under the same conditions – when trying to install the .NET Framework version 3.5 or 4.8. For the same reason, it may appear in some games or applications that depend on this library. The regular installer does not work, only the message “Failed to install the following function” is displayed. We analyzed the error 0x800f0950 and identified a number of causes and fixes related to it.
Causes of Error 0x800f0950
Considering the number of different procedures that have worked for users, it is not surprising that there can be many reasons for the error. Here’s everything that we managed to find out:
- Missing 3.5 or 4.8 .NET Framework. Appears when trying to run a specific program or application that depends on these libraries.
- Residual files interfere with the installation. Either the software was installed with an error, or it was partially removed.
- Problems in an outdated version of Windows.
- The .NET Framework is waiting to be updated or installed on Windows Update, causing some kind of application conflict.
- Damage to the installer itself or Windows system files.
How to fix error 0x800f0950?
The very first thing you need to try is updating your operating system. So many users have written about this, we cannot ignore such a simple and effective option. After the update, the installation process goes smoothly. At least it was a good try and we can move on.
1) Install .NET Framework 4.8 from Microsoft DotNET
The peculiarity of Windows 11 is that the error 0x800F0950 can provoke a lack of any version of the .NET Framework. Even those games that work with version 3.5 cannot consistently use the .NET Framework until every iteration of this library is installed. We suggest downloading it from the official server Microsoft…
In the case of Windows 10, things are a little more complicated. There is an option to install the software without any installers there, but through the system components menu.
Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Click on Start with the right mouse button and select “Programs and Features”.
- Click on the section “Enabling or disabling Windows components.”
- We are looking for NET Framework 3.5 among the list that opens, set the mark next to it and click “Apply”.
- The installation will happen automatically.
In addition to all of the above, it should be noted that there is one more way to solve the error 0x800F0950 related to residual files. In fact, this method fixes many other glitches as well. Plus it works in both versions of the operating system
What should be done:
- Download the .NET Framework Repair Tool from the website Microsoft…
- We launch and issue the rights to the specified software.
- Follow the wizard’s prompts to fix the error.
2) Install from external storage
A working fix that received a lot of positive feedback. The point is to use a compatible drive (disk, flash drive, or something else) to install the program via the command line.
Here’s how to quickly fix 0x800f0950 on Windows 11, 10:
- We connect the drive and look at its letter in “My Computer” (you can just mount it).
- Right click on Start and run the “Command Line”, it must have administrator rights.
- Enter the command Dism / online / enable-feature / featurename: NetFX3 / All / Source: F: sources sxs / LimitAccess, where instead of F you need to substitute the letter assigned to the drive.
- After pressing Enter, the .NET Framework installation procedure will start.
3) Create your own installation script (Windows 10 only)
This method was proposed by the moderator of the Microsoft forum and has a large number of likes (over 150). The method works and you should definitely try it if the previous solutions did not help.
How to fix error 0x800f0950:
- Launch Notepad or any other notebook.
- Paste the code below
Title .NET Framework 3.5 Offline Installer
for %% I in (DEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWX YZ) do if exist “%% I: \ sources install.wim” set setupdrv = %% I
if defined setupdrv (
echo Found drive% setupdrv%
echo Installing .NET Framework 3.5 …
Dism / online / enable-feature / featurename: NetFX3 / All / Source:% setupdrv%: sources sxs / LimitAccess
echo .NET Framework 3.5 should be installed
) else (
echo No installation media found!
echo Insert DVD or USB flash drive and run this file once again.
- Only instead of PLACEHOLDER you need to specify the drive letter.
- Click on the “File” item and select “Save As”.
- We can specify any name, the main thing is that the ending should be .cmd.
- Run the file with elevated privileges.
- We restart the computer.
The 3 listed methods have the highest chances of helping to fix error 0x800f0950 on Windows 10, 11. This is indicated by the number of approving comments and likes on the Microsoft formula. We also leave on it link, although it is in English, it can help someone.