Fixing Connection Failed After 4 Retries TF2 in Team Fortress 2
Cartoon style, big battles on the battlefield, incredible atmosphere – all this is what Team Fortress 2 players get. But in late 2020, many began to encounter errors during launch. Users began to receive the error “Disabled. Connection Failed After 4 Retries “. Even today, many are faced with this problem, but it can be solved independently, without the help of professionals.
Causes of error in Team Fortress 2
It should be immediately noted that this game is a multiplayer online shooter. This suggests that there is a company server that a large number of people connect to in order to have fun together. The error Connection Failed After 4 Retries TF2 that appears, speaks specifically of connection problems. The essence of this failure is that the client was unable to connect to the server after 4 attempts. At the moment, experts identify only 2 possible reasons for the error:
- Server side problems. During its updates, maintenance, or when replacing server hardware, such failures may occur. In this case, some of them are turned off, and those that remain to work are not able to cope with the influx of players.
- Lagbots. Not all users enter the game in order to have fun, enjoy the graphics, and have fun. There are also those who simply attack the developer’s servers with endless commands that fill all traffic, load it in full and force it to disconnect. If at the time of the attack of such bots you try to enter the game and get an error, then this problem can be solved in several ways below.
How to fix Connection Failed After 4 Retries TF2?
Each decision has the right to life, the user can choose what suits him best, what is easiest for him to implement.
Solution 1: expose ports on Steam
To solve the connection problem, you can set a specific port for the game and establish a stable connection. In standard mode, Steam independently chooses a free protocol, but there may be lagbots that prevent it from playing normally. To set ports manually, you need to do the following:
- Launch your Steam and find the Team Fortress 2 game there.
- Click on it with the right mouse button and select “Properties”.
- On the “General” tab, we see the item “Set launch parameters” and run it.
- In the field that appears, you must specify the ports for connection. At the moment, the most stable values are considered to be from 27006 to 27014, so we enter the value “+ clientport 27006-27014” in the line.
- Trying to connect to the game, there should be no errors.
There is a possibility that the error not only appeared due to unstable operation of ports, some files may be damaged. Therefore, it makes sense to open also the “Local files” tab in the game properties, and then select “Check the integrity of files”, this can solve many problems.
Solution 2: open ports through Windows Firewall
Each OS has its own firewall, it is needed in order to guarantee network security for users. All traffic on the computer, including gaming, goes through it. By opening ports in this security system, the problem can be resolved.
To do this, do the following:
- Follow this path: Start> Control Panel> System and Security> Windows Firewall.
- Select Advanced Options.
- Next, go to “Rules for Inbound Connections” and click “Create Rule” there.
- You will need to select the type of rule, here it is “Port”.
- then click “UPD Protocol”.
- Here we indicate the port, for example 27009.
- Next, the item “Allow the connection” will appear, select it.
- We indicate the name of our new rule and save it; you can leave nothing in the description.
The selected port will now work freely through the firewall. It is recommended to create this rule for all protocols 27006 through 27014, which are considered the most secure and stable.
Solution 3: edit your server config
You can configure your server yourself and thereby solve the connection error. Each user has the opportunity to play on “unofficial” servers, there are fewer lagbots and the problem appears much less often.
- Find the folder with the name of the game on the local drive of your computer.
- Find the file “Start.bat” in this archive.
- Open it through standard notepad for editing.
- We indicate here an additional line, it looks like “+ clientport 27006”, but the server numbers are already yours.
- Launch the game and connect.