How do I exit Safe Mode in PlayStation 4?
Some users complain about the PlayStation 4, which for no apparent reason does not go into normal operation, all the time turning on in safe mode. The gamesqa experts have been able to identify a variety of reasons why the PS4 is stuck in Safe Mode. Most of the sources of failure involve the cord or the console itself. The guide will start in simple ways and will go on increasing the complexity of actions.
How do I start Safe Mode on PS4?
Important note – there is no point in trying to put the console into a secure use case if the USB ports are not working. After starting the set-top box, you will need to synchronize the controller using USB connectors. If the inputs do not work, you should first fix the hardware and only then start solving software failures.
- Turn off the console.
- Press the power button until the set-top box emits 2 beeps. The second squeak appears after 7 seconds.
- Connect DualShock 4 controllers via USB cable.
- Press the center key of the joystick – PS.
Here’s the solution! If the PlayStation 4 has encountered various problems that cannot be fixed by normal launch or it cannot boot normally, it is worth looking for additional solutions to the difficulty in Safe Mode.
To exit safe mode, you can use one of the options below.
Exiting through menu items
Among the menu options, there is a suitable item:
- Configure synchronization of the controller with the console via USB.
- Select Restart PS4 System.
- Wait for the reboot to complete.
If your PlayStation 4 continues to boot in Safe Mode, you should continue reading the article and use the recovery options.
Helpful! “Restarting PS4” is an ambiguous phrase, it may seem that this step will format the console’s memory. This will not happen, the set-top box only turns off and restarts as usual. If nothing has changed and the startup continues in Protected Mode, the console is having some kind of problem.
Take out the cable
Have you tried to disconnect the cable and reconnect it?
- Turn off the console completely using the power button or through the appropriate menu. This will avoid the “PlayStation was not shut down properly” error.
- Pull the cable while holding the attachment.
- After removing the cord, leave the console for 20 minutes, preferably longer.
- Reconnect the wire and start the set-top box.
- If you throw it into safe mode, you should try using the “restart PS4” menu option.
Cleaning the Console from Dust
The accumulation of large amounts of dust and dirt can lead to serious system errors. Some places in the house are more prone to debris settling, so it is better to store the attachment in a relatively clean area of the apartment. If it is not convenient to change the position of the console, you can purchase a dust cover. It must be worn when the PS4 is not in use.
You still have to clear the console first. This will require compressed air cans. How to do it:
- Point the can nozzle towards the vent. It must be kept at a distance of 3-5 cm from the surface.
- Spray the air in short bursts while holding the can upright.
- Periodically look into the ventilation holes until all dust is gone.
- Take a microfiber cloth and clean any other dust from the interior that you can reach.
- Use the same cloth to wipe the covers of the game console.
- If the material becomes dirty, it must be replaced. Do not wet the fabric and continue to wipe the surface while wet.
After cleaning the PlayStation 4, it is appropriate to update the software and restore the database. Both actions do not affect the saved files in the console memory in any way, but often they can fix various device problems.
Check HDMI cable
If your PS4 turns on and enters Safe Mode, but you can’t navigate through the menu items, the problem is most likely a hardware issue. Before starting any more drastic measures, it is worth checking the HDMI cables.
- Disconnect the cable from the set-top box and the back of the TV (or from the side).
- Try changing the ends of the wire between devices. The input that was previously connected to the console should be included in the TV and vice versa.
- Get, ask, or buy an HDMI cable.
There is a real case where the PlayStation user simply changed the sides of the cable and was able to use the ‘restart PS4’ option. Thus, he entered as usual.
Check the power cord
If the cord breaks or is incorrectly connected, the PlayStation 4 may experience problems starting up in Game Mode.
You need to make sure the integrity of the wire:
- Turn off the set-top box completely by holding the power button or through the menu.
- Unplug the power cord from the console and from the outlet.
- Let the console stand unplugged for about 20 minutes.
- Reconnect the power cord and check that it is firmly seated in the socket.
- If the PS4 still starts up in safe mode, repeat the instructions, but use a different outlet and cable.
The power cord for the PlayStation 4 family starts from 600 rubles on Amazon. It is appropriate to proceed to its purchase after it has been possible to make sure that the cord is intermittently working.
If the PlayStation 4 does not contain up-to-date update files, the console may malfunction. Fortunately, in safe mode it is possible to update the OS. An alternative is to use a USB stick.
Updating when network access is available
It is wise to resort to a method if there is a reliable internet connection that the PlayStation 4 is able to recognize. You can use both a wired connection and a Wi-Fi network.
- Set up your PS4’s internet connection in any way you can.
- From the Safe Mode menu, select the Update System Software option.
System upgrade without Internet access
To implement the technique, you will need 375 MB of free space on the USB drive.
What should be done:
- Create a folder named “PS4” on a USB flash drive or external drive.
- Form the “UPDATE” section inside the specified directory.
- Download the update for the console to your computer.
- Move downloaded files from the “Downloads” directory to “UPDATE”.
- Save the file inside a folder called PS4UPDATE.PUP (if it doesn’t already exist).
- Connect the drive to any USB port on the console.
- Start the set-top box in safe mode and click on the “Update system software” item.
After starting the update tool, it is better to leave the game console alone, without touching it for a while. Once the installation is complete, you can restart your console and check if it boots normally. If not, it’s worth moving on to the next section.
Rebuilding the database
During the procedure, none of the saved system files will be harmed.
- Connect the PlayStation 4 to the internet via a cable.
- From the menu, select the “Rebuild Database” item.
- Wait until the process is complete, it may take a long time.
- After restoring the database, you need to restart the console.
The option initiates a scan of the hard drive and the creation of a new database with data on all installed applications and games. The action does not lead to the elimination of problems with the HDD, it only enumerates and fixes some failures in the storage of information. They are the ones who often block the launch of PS4 in game mode.
This option completely deletes all data and system settings. It is appropriate to use it as a last resort, if all the previous methods did not help.
Step by step guide:
- Create a folder “PS4”, and inside it – UPDATE on a USB-disk or flash drive.
- Download update from of. PlayStation website…
- Save a file named PS4UPDATE.PUP in the specified folder.
- Connect the storage device to the USB port on the console.
- Select “Initialize PS4 System” from the Safe Mode menu items.
- Follow the instructions on the screen and give the console enough time to complete the procedure.
The action will lead not only to the deletion of user data, but also to replace the PS4 firmware. The console will be in factory state. Despite the big sacrifice, manipulation can fix even the most serious OS problems.
Take the console for repair
If the game console has been dropped or spilled recently, the problem may be caused by a hardware issue. Corrective actions are beyond the reach of the average user. Your best bet is to take your console to a PlayStation 4 Service Center. If the warranty is still valid, the repair may be free. This method must be used before initializing the OS, if important data is stored in it. Most wizards offer pre-saving data.