How do I get a refund for a purchased game on Steam?
Each of the PC players at least once in their life bought a game on Steam or some kind of add-on to it, which in one way or another did not satisfy him. Are you in a similar situation? Fortunately for you, Valve introduced a refund for purchased goods to the Steam digital distribution service some time ago.
In some way, for this gift, players should “thank” the company Gearbox Software and the game Aliens: Colonial Marines, which on release was strikingly different from what was shown in its promotional materials, which is why many gamers around the world literally protested and demanded to return spent money.
The situation was so difficult and large-scale that Valve had to return the money spent to the players, and over time, the company decided to add a refund function to Steam at all. And that was one of Valve’s most successful decisions. However, it is worth noting that it will be possible to return funds for purchasing content in the store only if certain conditions are met.
Let’s take a closer look at the conditions that must be met for a refund, the refund process itself, and the consequences of abuse of this opportunity in the service.
Conditions for refunds
According to Valve, you can apply for a refund for the game under completely different pretexts: the game does not start, slows down, or even just did not like it – and that’s it.
However, in order to receive a refund, you must meet the following conditions:
- more than two hours have not been played in the game;
- two weeks (14 days) have not passed since the purchase.
Be aware that applications are reviewed by real Valve employees and not by some automatic system. This means that your application can be approved even if you have not met some conditions, but you have a compelling reason.
The note: for example, let’s recall the case of the Batman Arkham Knight game: the PC port was in a terrible state at the time of the initial release, so it was decided to meet the needs of the players and return the money to everyone, even if they spent more than two hours in the game.
However, what about other content and services (DLC, in-game purchases, wallet top-ups, etc.) on Steam? Well, let’s take a look at the refund terms and conditions for them.
- DLC. Exactly the same conditions as for returning games. However, you will not be able to get a refund for DLCs that directly affect the game itself. Also, refunds cannot be made for an add-on from a third party developer.
- In-game purchases. Refunds for in-game purchases are possible within a couple of days, but only if the purchased content was not in any way spent in the game, modified or moved to another account.
- Pre-orders. Changed your mind about pre-ordering? Well, you can get your money back at any time before the game itself is released. However, if you do not have time to do this before the release, then you will have to deal with the standard terms of returning the game.
- Replenishment of the wallet. Steam wallet refunds are available within two weeks.
- Sets of several games. In this case, everything is a little more complicated. You are also limited to two hours, but the limit is not on every game, but on the entire set, i.e. if the total time in all games of the set exceeds two hours, you will not be able to return the money.
How to make a refund
Ok, let’s move on to the main part of the material: how to get the money back for the game? Let’s figure it out. To get your money back for the game, you will need to do the following:
- Log into your Steam account through a client or browser;
- Click on the name of your client in the upper right corner and select “About account”;
- Click on the item “Purchase history”;
- Select the toy or content you need from the list;
- Click on the item “I want to request a refund”;
The note: you can access this support section through your games library. To do this, you need to go to the game page in the library and click on the “Support” item on the right side of the window.
Next, you will need to select the reason why you want to return the money, and also add a small note. Once you are finished filling out the forms, click on the “Submit Request” button. Try to be as convincing as possible with your reasons and don’t forget about the return terms. We remind you that your application will not be considered by robots, but by real people.
Valve promises to return funds for the game or content within one week, however, the refund usually occurs within a couple of hours. However, during sales and any holidays, the consideration of your application and the return of funds may take a day or so.
Consequences of abuse of returns
Let’s now talk about the consequences that will follow if you frequently try to refund money for purchases made. In fact, they are not so scary: in case of abuse, the refund function will simply be blocked on your account.
A special case
Some players from time to time find themselves in an unpleasant situation: they buy some game at full price, not suspecting that it will soon be sold at a good discount. If you find yourself in the same situation, then know that refunds in this case will not be considered abuse. Return money and buy a toy at a discount, but do not forget about the return conditions.