The driver of any device is software that allows this device to work normally and perform its functions in the operating system. If you connect a new device to a computer or motherboard, but do not install the drivers, then it will not work. Previously, manufacturers supplied software along with the device being sold, for example, with a video card, there was always a disk that had this software on it for installation. Today, everything you need can be found on the Internet, but often you need to disable the digital signature verification of drivers to install them.
Why disable driver digital signature verification?
Before installing a driver for a device, the operating system verifies its digital signature. This is to ensure the safety of the user. For example, installing a driver on a video card that has been susceptible to hacker interference can lead to the user’s video card being used to mine cryptocurrency without his knowledge. But in ordinary life this is impossible, any interference with the driver leads to the fact that it loses its digital signature and the security system does not allow it to be loaded. If the user wants to install software without a digital signature, then in these cases it is necessary to disable its verification.
How do I disable digital signature verification?
You should immediately stipulate the fact that disabling digital signature verification is not safe for those users who do not understand this. In such a case, the security system will not work at full capacity, which means that personal data and the performance of the devices themselves may be at risk.
However, it should be noted that sometimes the redistributable disc with drivers, which is in the box with the device, is not digitally signed. In this case, even safe software cannot be installed without disabling the check. In some cases, you still need to turn off signature verification, the main thing is to make sure that the downloaded software is safe.
On Windows 7
In order to disable digital signature verification of drivers in Windows 7, you must use the built-in command line. The job may seem daunting for an inexperienced user, but in fact, even he will cope with this task. There are 2 ways to complete the procedure, for the first follow these steps:
- Open the start menu.
- Find Command Prompt in the menu.
- Click on this item with the right mouse button and select “Run as Administrator”.
- In the window that opens, enter the command: bcdedit.exe / set nointegritychecks ON
- To enable digital signature verification, follow the same steps, only the command will look like this: bcdedit.exe / set nointegritychecks OFF
In order to apply the second method of disabling the verification of the digital signature of drivers, you need to go to the command line again. Be sure to run the command line with administrator rights, as it happened in the first method. Next, you need to enter: bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS… After the information about the successful completion of this procedure appears in the command line, you must enter the second command: bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON… After that, the verification of the digital signature of the drivers will be disabled.
On Windows 8 and 8.1
You can turn off digital signature verification in Windows 8 and 8.1 in a slightly different way. Here it would be ideal to select special boot options, where verification will already be disabled. It will be even easier to perform such actions, because you do not need to run a line and enter commands. It is worth following these steps:
- Move the mouse to the lower right corner of the screen to open the “Charms” panel.
- Select the “Parameters” item.
- Go to “Change computer settings”.
- In the menu “Update and recovery” select “Recovery”.
- In the window that opens, select “Special boot options” and restart your computer.
- After that, you need to select “Diagnostics” and then “Boot options”.
- In the window you can see the special boot options, you can select them with the corresponding keys F1-F9. Here you need to click “Disable mandatory driver signature verification”.
- Reboot the system.
After these steps, you can easily install the driver without a digital signature.
On Windows 10
To turn off driver digital signature verification in Windows 10, you will have to use the Group Policy Editor. It should be immediately noted that in Windows 8 this method can also be used, but it is less popular. To disable checking, you need to do the following:
- Go to the local group policy editor. To do this, press the Win + R keys, then enter the command gpedit.msc…
- Jump along the path: User Configuration – Administrative Templates – System – Driver Installation…
- Double click on the item “Digitally Signing Device Drivers“.
- Select “Enabled” in the column on the left.
- Below in the list “If Windows detects a driver file without a digital signature”, click “Skip”.
- Click “OK” and close all windows.
This way you can disable the digital signature verification of drivers in different versions of Windows and install third-party software on your computer. But you always need to understand that the user is responsible for his actions and after disabling the check, the system becomes more vulnerable.