How to fix BSOD PFN LIST CORRUPT on Windows 7, 10, 11?
One of all kinds of “blue screens of death” has the code PFN_LIST_CORRUPT. The peculiarity of the error is that the description does not provide any clarifying information or tips for correction. At the same time, BSOD appears for several versions of the Windows operating system in a row, including in the top ten and even in XP. It is often associated with the 0x0000004E code, which we mentioned earlier in this mini-article. Today we will take a closer look at the common PFN LIST CORRUPT error: its causes and how to fix it.
Causes of Error PFN LIST CORRUPT
BSOD with this message indicates a violation of integrity Page Frame Number (PFN) is a system database that stores a list of RAM pages in the system. It is needed to increase access to cores and accelerate processing of operations related to RAM. PFN corruption is also a consequence of other problems in the system, usually the following:
- malfunction or conflicts of drivers;
- damage to registry data;
- violation of the integrity of system files Windows 7, 10, 11;
- incompatibility of RAM sticks with the motherboard;
- conflict between multiple RAM cards;
- errors in the Windows file system.
These are the most common true causes of the PFN LIST CORRUPT error behind this blue screen of death. There are also problems associated with the incorrect operation of antiviruses, failures in specific versions of the operating system. However, this is rather an exception to the rule.
Ways to fix BSOD PFN LIST CORRUPT
Most likely BSOD with the PFN LIST CORRUPT error does not appear constantly, but under certain conditions or in random order. This is good because it allows you to take the necessary recovery steps. If the crash appears almost constantly, often immediately after starting the computer, we recommend trying to start the PC in safe mode. By itself, it can indicate the causes of the problem. Provided that it works flawlessly, while in normal mode an error is constantly displayed, the point is in the software. It is worth digging in the direction of drivers, registry, antivirus and the like. Otherwise, the reason is more serious breakdowns (system files, RAM strips, file system).
When it is not possible to start the system even in safe mode, we can use the Windows recovery mode, which can be easily launched from under the operating system. All you need is a Windows installation disc (an autorun flash drive will do as well).
Solution 1: work with device drivers
In order to restore Windows to work, we can try 3 main approaches, each of them has its own advantages and disadvantages:
- Refresh… The essence of the method is to download new drivers for the main computer devices and install them. Ideally, you need to use the official websites of the manufacturers. Only this is very long, so we can use programs to automatically search for and install drivers. We warn you that this is more dangerous, but usually no problems arise. For help, we can turn to DriverPack Solution, Driver Genius, NVIDIA Update.
- Reinstall… First of all, you need to pay attention to the drivers of the video card, network card, chipset and Wi-Fi adapter. To accomplish our plans, go to the “Device Manager” (through the menu that opens with the Win + X keys), find the software for the listed equipment and remove it. The exception is the chipset. We only recommend stocking up on the necessary drivers in advance. We can also install them manually from those that are preinstalled in Windows (in the properties “Update” – “Manual” – “Search for drivers on this computer”).
- Roll back… Updating drivers often causes more problems than outdated ones. If the problem appeared after the next update, you should use rollback. It is available in the “Properties” of the drivers (first of all, we pay attention to the software of the video card, network card, Wi-Fi module and chipset) on the “Driver” tab. There is an option “Roll back driver”.
Solution 2: scan Windows 7, 10, 11 for integrity
There are 2 Windows tools that are specifically designed to scan the state of the operating system system files. It is very difficult to fix them manually, so such tools are essential. We recommend using both.
What should be done:
- We start the command line with administrator privileges.
- Enter the command into the console sfc /scannow and wait for the analysis to complete.
- Insert DISM…exe / Online / Cleanup-image / Restorehealth and press Enter.
It is important to look at the messages that appear after completing these procedures. If errors or other problems are displayed during the scan, it is important to make sure that the system was able to fix them on its own. All this is described in the console. If you find any problems that could not be resolved, we recommend that you start troubleshooting in that direction.
Solution 3: check the filesystem
Failures in the Windows file system are also quite often the culprits of the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error. Fortunately, the system makes it relatively easy to detect breakdowns and even fix them without additional user intervention.
File System Scanning Instructions:
- We start the command line, always in administrator mode.
- Insert the command chkdsk C: / f, where C: is the system logical drive where the operating system is installed.
- After the scan is complete, open PowerShell and enter Repair-Volume -DriveLetter C.
The result can be 3: no problems were found, errors were successfully fixed, errors were found that could not be fixed. In the latter case, additional hints will be given, but most often file system malfunctions can be eliminated automatically.
Solution 4: diagnose the state of RAM
RAM really often provokes BSOD with this code in one way or another. The main problem here is that the problem is not always programmatic.
All stages of work with RAM:
- Run the RAM scan tool… If the system boots, it will be a little easier to do – just insert mdsched.exe into Search or Start and press Enter. All that remains is to confirm the restart and start testing. When the PC does not start, you need to create a bootable Memtest 86+ USB flash drive and start from it.
- Disable overclocking… In the increased speed mode, the RAM is often unstable. It is better to turn it off, at least during the struggle with the problem.
- Checking RAM compatibility… Timings and memory type must match. Plus, we recommend that you check that the motherboard supports this RAM. Pay attention to the maximum operating speed (some boards do not work with DDR4 4200 MHz), the supported memory size (it can work with 16 GB of RAM, but 20 GB is installed), the type of memory (DDR3, DDR4, DDR5).
- We clear the contacts of the RAM… We advise you to go over the slats with an eraser, and also blow out the connectors on the motherboard with compressed air.
An important diagnostic step is to disable individual RAM strips. If there are several installed in the computer, we recommend leaving one and starting the PC. We repeat this with each plank. If with one of them the PC does not start, but with the other it works fine, congratulations on finding the problem.
Solution 5: repair the registry
Much less often, the 0x0000004E error along with the PFN LIST CORRUPT code appears due to a violation of the integrity of the registry, but this also occurs. Unfortunately, it is difficult to do something manually here, you will have to use a special program. The most popular is CCleaner. It is enough to install it, go to the “Registry” tab, start a scan and fix the problems automatically.
What else can help?
There are more specific cases of the PFN LIST CORRUPT error. When all of the above has already been tried, we can resort to additional solutions:
- Remove recently installed programs… If this error was preceded by the installation of some software, it may be the case. In general, it is sometimes useful to clean the system of unnecessary and questionable programs.
- Deactivating third-party services… In the “Services” panel, we advise you to turn off everything that is not required or switch them to the “Manual” position. If you have no idea what services are needed for the system and which are not, it is better to check each one via the Internet.
- Turn off antiviruses… It is highly aggressive software that can cause BSODs. By the way, it is better to disable it before performing the procedures for restoring the file system and system files.
- We start the equipment test… The Problem Diagnostics tool helps you diagnose problems with connected devices and their drivers. We can run it with the “Run” line and the command msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic…
- Checking connecting drives… SATA cables tend to dry out. Ideally, it’s better to install new wires, but first you should at least try to fix the contacts. Be sure to look at both sides: at the point of connection to the motherboard and SSD or HDD.
- Configuring BIOS… The first step is to reset the BIOS. If that doesn’t work, update it. Only this is a potentially dangerous procedure, it is important to install only proprietary updates and do everything according to the instructions.
- Roll back the system… If you have a suitable Windows restore point, it’s best to use it. Maybe the error with the PFN LIST CORRUPT code will no longer appear.
BSOD PFN LIST CORRUPT is a very alarming error, since it has many reasons for its appearance and even more options for the development of situations. We tried to give a comprehensive understanding of the “blue screen of death” and hope that we have succeeded.