How to fix BSOD with code 0x00000133 in Windows 10?
Interestingly, the blue screen of death with error 0x00000133 and the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION code appears mainly while surfing the Internet. Although it is also often talked about the appearance of BSOD during the computer boot process or on the login screen. The crux of the problem is that the hardware or software is incompatible with each other. Other reasons can cause such a failure, and this is just a derivative of them. It is known that Microsoft already knows about the error and is trying to fix it. On the other hand, we have seen such statements dozens of times already, and the error continues to appear. We suggest you take matters into your own hands and try to fix the BSOD yourself.
Why BSOD DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION appears with code 0x00000133
You need to know that DPC is the service responsible for deferred procedure calls. Watchdog is a bug checking tool. Its role is to track applications and adjust the computer for them. Thus, this error may be due to:
- Damage to system files;
- Incomplete installation of updates or installation of upgrades with errors;
- Driver problems;
- Incompatibility of software or devices with each other;
- Damage to the SSD firmware.
What should be done?
Of course, we can go straight to fixing the error, but this will simply be a manual search of possible fixes without understanding the true cause. It is better to take a different path and figure out what is causing this problem. Special logs of the Windows operating system will help us with this.
Where can I find more detailed information about error 0x00000133:
- We launch the “Event Viewer”, the file is responsible for this eventvwr, which can be found through a search assuming active indexing.
- In the “Windows Logs” section, select the “System” folder.
- We are looking for one of the latest errors with a red mark.
- We open the event details and try to fix them using the instructions in the same window.
At the very least, this approach will help narrow your troubleshooting circle or point you to the immediate culprit.
Check cable connections
Most often, errors are the result of some kind of banal failure. In this case, poorly connected equipment. Its connectors may be dirty, damaged, poorly connected, or the cable should be replaced. Most of the above can be detected and eliminated on your own, even without going to the store.
Disable Fast Boot
Fast boot often fails. Sometimes it is better to turn it off and wait a little longer than to face various problems. Given the simplicity of the procedure, it is definitely worth trying to carry out.
- Press the key combination Win + X and select the “Power Management” item.
- We pass to the section “Actions of the power buttons”.
- Click on the button “Change parameters that are currently unavailable.”
- Uncheck the “Enable Fast Startup (Recommended)” button.
Disable all external devices
Since BSOD 0x00000133 DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION appears mainly due to a conflict of devices, a logical solution would be to reduce their number. The easiest way is to remove everything unnecessary from the connectors: printers, speakers, headphones, a second monitor, etc. This is necessary in order to understand whether the matter is really in additional devices or not.
If the computer works fine, all that remains is to re-connect the devices one at a time. After that device, when the blue screen of death begins to appear again, we will find out the true culprit of the problem. Updating its drivers should do the trick.
If there are no changes, most likely the problem is not in the periphery, but an order of magnitude deeper. It is worth looking for a problem with the built-in hardware of the computer or Windows itself. This is what we are going to do now.
Install new IDE ATA / ATAPI controller drivers
There are more interesting problems that are not related to the connected equipment itself, but to the connector controllers. They also need to periodically update their drivers.
What should be done:
- Hold down the Win + R key combination, enter devmgmt.msc and press Enter.
- Click on the list with the name “IDE ATA / ATAPI”.
- Click on the existing controller with the right mouse button and select “Update Driver”.
- We select the option “Search for drivers on this computer“.
- Click on the option “Select a driver from the list of already installed drivers.”
- We are interested in the “Standard SATA AHCI controller”, we install it. Even if your controller is different, this driver is worth trying, at least first. Then at any time you can return to the old one.
Upgrade SSD Firmware
Outdated SSD drivers also cause BSOD DPC Watchdog Violation and there is real confirmation from users on the forums. Instability appears due to the fact that Windows cannot work normally with the hardware, since it does not support its drivers. Updating the SSD software is only part of the job, and you need to install the latest firmware as well.
- By right-clicking the mouse, select Start, and then – “Device Manager”.
- Expand the list “Disk devices” and click on the main drive with the right mouse button, and then go to “Properties”.
- On the information tab, we find the device model and drive it into the Google + driver search.
- Install the latest drivers and download the firmware update program. Each manufacturer has special software for this. For example, I have Kingston and need KSM Firmware Update…
- We launch the program and wait while it updates the software.
Check disk and system files
The problem may also be in the corruption of system files, the file system, or the presence of bad sectors on the disk. Such failures can usually be fixed using the built-in Windows utilities.
Here are a few commands to use on the command line:
- chkdsk x: / fwhere X is the letter of the drive you want to scan. Helps fix most hard drive or SSD problems.
- sfc / scannow – a tool for scanning and fixing breakdowns of Windows system files.
Without input data about the current state of the computer, the reasons for BSOD 0x00000133 DPC Watchdog Violation directly on your system, we cannot 100% guarantee that any particular method will work. All that remains for us is, guided by logic and custom reports, to list what should help. Many of the ways are really praised by people on the forums. Hopefully it works for you too.