How to fix error 0x800f0986 when updating Windows 10?
0x800f0986 – an error that occurs in Windows 10 Update while downloading and installing cumulative updates for the OS. An extremely serious problem, because the user loses access to new Microsoft developments, but it is relatively easy to solve it using long-known fixes. In today’s article, we will take a look at these fixes with you.
How to fix update error 0x800f0986
Checking the Update Service
- Press the WINDOWS + R keys to bring up the Run window.
- Insert into the available line “services.msc” (without quotes, of course) and press ENTER.
- Scroll down the list, find “Windows Update” and double-click on this service LMB.
- Select Automatic from the Startup Type drop-down menu.
- Click Run, Apply and OK.
Running the troubleshooter
- Right-click on Start in the corner of the screen and select “Settings”.
- Find the Update & Security section in the list and navigate to it.
- Then go to the subsection (or tab) “Troubleshooting”.
- Below in the window you will see the item “Additional troubleshooting tools” – click on it.
- Select Windows Update (one of the first on the list) and click on the Run the troubleshooter button.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to troubleshoot potential issues with Update Center.
- Reboot your PC.
Removing the contents of the SoftwareDistribution folder
- Click on the service “Windows Update” RMB and select “Stop”.
- Open File Explorer and follow the path:
- C: / Windows / SoftwareDistribution / Download
- Once in the Download folder, press CTRL + A, then SHIFT + DELETE.
- Reboot your PC.
Reset Update Center
- Right click on the Start menu and select “Command Prompt (Admin).”
- Run the following series of commands in the console:
- net stop bits
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptsvc
- Del “% ALLUSERSPROFILE% Application Data Microsoft Network Downloader qmgr * .dat”
- Ren% Systemroot% SoftwareDistribution DataStore DataStore.bak
- Ren% Systemroot% SoftwareDistribution Download Download.bak
- Ren% Systemroot% System32 catroot2 catroot2.bak
- sc.exe sdset bits D: (A ;; CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC ;;; SY) (A ;; CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO ;;; BA) (A ;; CCLCSWLOCRRC ;;; AU) (A ;; CCLCSWRPWP ;; PU)
- sc.exe sdset wuauserv D: (A ;; CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC ;;; SY) (A ;; CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO ;;; BA) (A ;; CCLCSWLOCRRC ;;; AU) (A ;; CCLCSWRPWPDTL;
- cd / d% windir% system32
- regsvr32.exe atl.dll
- regsvr32.exe urlmon.dll
- regsvr32.exe mshtml.dll
- regsvr32.exe shdocvw.dll
- regsvr32.exe browseui.dll
- regsvr32.exe jscript.dll
- regsvr32.exe vbscript.dll
- regsvr32.exe scrrun.dll
- regsvr32.exe msxml.dll
- regsvr32.exe msxml3.dll
- regsvr32.exe msxml6.dll
- regsvr32.exe actxprxy.dll
- regsvr32.exe softpub.dll
- regsvr32.exe wintrust.dll
- regsvr32.exe dssenh.dll
- regsvr32.exe rsaenh.dll
- regsvr32.exe gpkcsp.dll
- regsvr32.exe sccbase.dll
- regsvr32.exe slbcsp.dll
- regsvr32.exe cryptdlg.dll
- regsvr32.exe oleaut32.dll
- regsvr32.exe ole32.dll
- regsvr32.exe shell32.dll
- regsvr32.exe initpki.dll
- regsvr32.exe wuapi.dll
- regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll
- regsvr32.exe wuaueng1.dll
- regsvr32.exe wucltui.dll
- regsvr32.exe wups.dll
- regsvr32.exe wups2.dll
- regsvr32.exe wuweb.dll
- regsvr32.exe qmgr.dll
- regsvr32.exe qmgrprxy.dll
- regsvr32.exe wucltux.dll
- regsvr32.exe muweb.dll
- regsvr32.exe wuwebv.dll
- netsh winsock reset
- net start bits
- net start wuauserv
- net start cryptsvc
- Close Command Prompt and restart your PC.
The note: alternatively, you can use Manuel Gil’s special utility, which can be downloaded at official website developer. Install the utility on the system partition of the disk and run it as an admin account – this is a must! A Command Prompt window will appear – select the desired language and follow the further instructions.
Installing the problematic update manually
If none of the above methods helped you get rid of the error 0x800f0986, then we recommend completely bypassing it by installing the problematic update manually via Microsoft Update Catalog… The main thing is to find the update version suitable for your OS, and run the installer as administrator to avoid potential problems.
I would like to believe that at least some of the methods helped you get rid of the error 0x800f0986.