Error code 45 can be observed in Device Manager. It indicates that the hardware is not connected to the computer, so the driver cannot be activated. Consequently, the functionality of this device is impossible, which in turn can cause a series of additional errors.
The problem occurs in several cases, for example, if the network adapter is not recognized by the computer, the user will not be able to use Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and other devices. Initially, it may seem that the cause of the error is clear – a specific device is disconnected from the PC. However, in most cases this is not the case, and simply reconnecting the hardware does not help. This guide will discuss how to fix this problem.
Solution 1: check the physical connection
No matter how trite it is, but at the beginning you still need to make sure that the problem device is really connected to the computer, and the wire is not broken. In addition, the USB and HDMI inputs can be loosened and the connection is disrupted as a result. Inspect all connection elements and make sure that the plugs do not come loose.
It is worth noting that in addition to peripheral devices such as keyboard and mouse connected via connectors, some devices are simply integrated into the motherboard. For example, a network adapter is usually built into a PC. If the computer has not been physically affected, then the likelihood of disconnection of such devices is extremely small, so the cause should be looked for at the software level.
Solution 2: update the problematic driver
Since the error is most often associated with drivers, you need to go to Device Manager and fix the problem with a specific application. In particular, it is worth checking for updates on the manufacturer’s official website or downloading directly from the dispatcher.
- Press the combination Win + X, and in the menu that opens, select Device Manager.
- Expand the section with the broken driver indicated by the error message.
- Right click on it, and select Update.
- In the next window, run the automatic search tool for the current driver.
- Wait for the download and installation to complete, and then restart your computer.
- Check if this solved the problem.
However, you should check for outdated or corrupted drivers in other sections. Expand each one and make sure there are no exclamation mark applications. Such drivers also require updates and a reboot of the PC.
Solution 3: reinstall the problematic driver
In some cases, the drivers may be permanently damaged, which will lead to the described error about the device malfunction. In this situation, the software update may not be possible, therefore it is recommended to reinstall it:
- Open Device Manager again.
- Select the problematic application and write down its exact name.
- Then right-click on it and click Delete.
- In the next window, confirm your choice.
- When the driver is removed, reboot the system.
- Then visit the official website of the developer of this application.
- Find the search bar on the page, and enter the name of the driver recorded earlier.
- Download and install the latest software, then reboot again.
Solution 4. Install the latest Windows updates
Sometimes the problem may be that the drivers are up to date, but still not compatible with Windows. In this case, you need to check if the latest OS updates are installed.
- Press the combination Win + X, and select Control Panel.
- Go to Windows Update.
- Run a check for updates, and install all necessary patches, including optional ones.
- Restart your computer and check if the error is gone.
Solution 5: Run the hardware troubleshooter
Another option is to fix the problem using the built-in toolkit.
- Go to Control Panel again and go to the Troubleshooting section.
- Select the subsection that is associated with your specific issue.
- Next, click on the hardware requiring fixes and run diagnostics.
Solution 6 – Run SFC and DISM scan
To troubleshoot system problems, you should:
- Press Win + X again, and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- In a new window, copy and paste the following command: sfc / scannow.
- Press Enter and wait for the scan to complete.
- After that, paste the following commands, pressing Enter after each one:
- DISM / Online / Cleanup-Image / CheckHealth
DISM / Online / Cleanup-Image / ScanHealth
DISM / Online / Cleanup-Image / RestoreHealth
- After completing all processes, restart your computer.