Subnautica Below Zero is finally out of Early Access and has officially launched on PC and consoles. The game was distinguished by its original gameplay and good optimization, but there are enough complaints about the game, especially from users of the computer version. Among other problems, they often mention a crash when creating or loading a save, the error “UnityPlayer.dll Caused Access Violation (0xc0000005)”, extraneous sounds in the speakers, crashes, lags, inability to start, etc. We have prepared a list of common problems with Subnautica Below Zero and we will try to help fix them.
How to fix errors in Subnautica Below Zero?
Subnautica Below Zero takes us back to the planet 4546B, which we already explored in the original part. However, now there are many new challenges and a lot of important additions to the plot. Those who have already experienced it speak positively about the graphics, gameplay and atmosphere. There are also those who have encountered difficulties, such as problems loading saves, error 0xc0000005, crashes, freezes, etc. Here you will find everything we could find about the game’s problems and how to fix them.
The game is not saved
Judging by the players’ comments and logs, the point is that the game hangs with a danger event. When you are in combat, you will not be able to save. Thus, all game progress made since the previous save will be lost. The best we can offer is to prevent the problem next time. To do this, go to C: Program Files (x86) Steam steamapps common SubnauticaZero SNAppData SavedGames slot0001 and delete the .BatchObjects and CellsCache folders. It should work.
Crash when trying to load save
One of the most common problems with Subnautica Below Zero is that users are kicked out of the game when trying to load a save. Fortunately, fixing this is very simple.
- Open the folder where Steam was installed and look for SavedGames in one of the subsections. Usually the path looks like this: C: Program Files (x86) Steam steamapps common SubnauticaZero SNAppData SavedGames.
- Inside the destination folder, delete the autocloud.vdf file and we can start the game.
- The developers also advise to delete files from the SavesDir and SavesDir2 directories, as well as the entire CellsCache directory from the “AppData” directory.
Now everything should work, while the saving itself will not suffer.
Hanging, crackling sound
Subnautica Lower Zero “sins” by the fact that it often reproduces sound with lags, stuttering, and an unpleasant crackle can also be heard, it is especially distinct at moments of attack by predators.
Reasons and remedies for audio problems:
- Setting vertical sync… The easiest way to get rid of the crash is to turn off v.sync completely. However, in order not to lose the clarity and smoothness of the game, it just needs to be adjusted. This is only applicable if at least a GTX 1xxx or higher graphics card is installed. To do this, open the “Nvidia Control Panel”, in the “Manage 3D Settings” section, select “Program Settings”. Make Subnautica active and set the Vertical Sync to Fast.
- Checking the headphone or speaker connections with a connector on the system unit.
- Changing sampling rates… To do this, in the “Control Panel” go to the “Sound” section, press the RMB on the active device (where there are problems with sound) and select “Properties”. On the “Advanced” page, by probing, we set the correct frequencies.
Subnautica Below Zero won’t launch or crashes on startup
This behavior can be due to several reasons:
- Insufficient privileges… Give the game administrator permissions in the shortcut properties.
- Updating Microsoft Visual C ++, especially if there are errors “vcruntime140_1.dll or MSVCP140.dll not found”.
- Disable antivirus and Windows Defender.
- We check that on the way to the game no folders with Russian symbols…
- Reducing the frequency of the GPU… It worked for many, so I strongly advise you to try it. It is enough to reduce the frequency by 100 MHz via MSI Afterburner. This game does not like overclocking and refuses to work with equipment at higher frequencies.
UnityPlayer.dll Caused Access Violation (0xc0000005)
It happens that Subnautica Below Zero indicates an access violation and writes the error 0xc0000005, which prevents the game from starting.
How to fix it:
- Turning off the means of protection Windows and check the game files using the function in Steam (file integrity check).
- We activate the system scan… To do this, just insert into the command line sfc /scannow…
Black or white screen on Mac
After switching from OpenGL to Metal, graphics bugs appear, and a lot of people have it. This is common on newer Macs that have an M1 processor instead of Intel. At a certain point in time, the screen turns white or black, depending on the direction of the gaze. The only way to fix this is to install an experimental version of the game.
- Open Steam, and in it “Properties” for Subnautica: Lower Zero.
- We go to the “Beta versions” tab and unsubscribe from the beta.
- In the list, select the item “Experimental – automatic daily updates. Lots of mistakes! “
- We are waiting for the download of new files and launch the game.
Black screen or computer not responding Windows
If at one point the game turns black, crashes or stops responding, and in the “Task Manager” it says “Not responding”, we will help you. Also one of the variants of the problem is the GPU Crash error. No big deal, you will save your playthrough. It’s about problems with ultra-widescreen screens.
How to fix black screen:
- We delete the folder with the CellsCache cache.
- We reduce the screen resolution to FHD or even a little less.
- If that doesn’t work, you can try windowed mode.
PS, Xbox, Switch controllers not working on Mac and Windows
Many users report that their gamepads refuse to function properly in the game. They either allow you to move the camera along one axis, or do not process the actions in the menu, etc. Most likely this is a developer’s flaw, which will be corrected over time. You can try to fix it manually.
- Launch Steam and go to the “Properties” of the game.
- Go to the “Controllers” page and turn off all active items.
The world is empty or the player cannot move in it
It happens that after starting the game, there is not a single creature or other object in it. Another type of glitch is that the player cannot move. Tellingly, the problem arises with a new generation of the world. The point is in the Qmod mod, along with which BepinEx is launched (possibly for the original version of Subnautica). You should delete this folder from the game directory and everything will work.
Low fps, lags
The game does not experience major performance issues, so the first step is to check that your system meets the requirements of Subnautica Below Zero. If so, we recommend lowering the graphics quality and blocking the fps at a lower level. Operations with adjusting graphic settings can be performed in the “Control Panel” for a specific game.
These are all common and frequent Subnautica Lower Zero issues, as well as actions that can help users who encounter them. The manual contains methods for solving errors when saving or loading a save, 0xc0000005, black or white screens, problems with launching, lags, etc. Almost all user complaints point to the listed problems, so most likely you will find your problem among the list and be able to fix it.