How to fix the error “VCRUNTIME140_1.dll not found” in Windows 7, 10?
The message that the VCRUNTIME140_1.dll file was not found usually occurs when users try to run a program in Windows. This file is not part of the operating system, but is usually required by third-party applications to run smoothly.
VCRUNTIME140_1.dll is part of the DLLs included with Microsoft Visual C ++ and is installed on the system by default. However, for several reasons, this file can be replaced, deleted or damaged. Below we will consider several options for fixing the problem.
Solution 1: Install all available Windows updates
The current DLLs are usually shipped with system updates. Therefore, the first and most obvious solution is to install the latest Windows updates.
- Go to the Control Panel by right-clicking on the Windows icon.
- Go to Windows Update and check for updates.
- If there are any, install them and then restart your computer.
- Also, don’t forget to install any optional updates.
Solution 2: Install Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable Package
Some components in Visual C ++ libraries can be damaged, which will lead to a message that a required file is missing and cannot be run. Thus, installing the latest package will replace the damaged files with the actual ones.
- Visit Microsoft official site, and select the appropriate Visual C ++ package for your system.
- Download and install vc_redist.x86.exe (32-bit) and vc_redist.x64.exe (64-bit) versions.
- When finished, reboot the system.
- If you already have all Visual C ++ Redistributable Packages installed, uninstall them before installing new ones.
- Go to Control Panel and select the Programs and Features section.
- Find Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable Packages in the list.
- Right click on each of them and select Delete.
- Now reinstall the packages as described above.
Solution 3: Manually register the missing VCRUNTIME140_1.dll
One of the fixing methods is to manually register the missing file in the system. This is done as follows:
- Right-click on the Windows icon and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Copy and paste the following commands, pressing Enter after each one:
- regsvr32 / u VCRUNTIME140_1.dll
- Reboot your system and check if the problem is resolved.
Solution 4. Copy the missing DLL from a different location
Because VCRUNTIME140_1.dll is used by several applications and is part of the Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable Package, a copy can be found elsewhere. Then it remains only to duplicate it into the problematic application.
- Press Win + E to open File Explorer.
- Expand the View tab and make sure the Show hidden items check box is selected in the hidden items section.
- Now go to the path C: Program Files WindowsApps
- Here you need to find a folder with the following name:
- Please note that 14.0.29231.0_x64__ is a variable, which may be different depending on the version.
- Open the folder and scroll until you find the VCRUNTIME140_1.dll file.
- Select it by clicking LMB, and then press Ctrl + C to copy the file.
- Now go to the folder with the problematic program, for example, C: Program Files Mozilla Firefox, and paste the file by pressing Ctrl + V.