How to fix win32kbase.sys BSOD in Windows 10?
There are a lot of blue screens of death pointing to the win32kbase.sys file. In the BSOD, which refers to this file, can be code: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, IRQL_NOT_LESS_EQUAL, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and various stop code 0x0000003B, 0x0000007A, 0x0000000A, 0x0000001E, 0x0000007E, 0x00000050, etc. And that’s not the whole list of potential options for development of the situation..
An issue has been identified that causes Windows to shut down to prevent damage to the computer. The following file appears to be the cause of the problem: win32kbase.sys.
Your PC has encountered a problem and needs to be restarted. If you want to know more, you can search the web for this error later: win32kbase.sys.
Tellingly, the BSOD can both prevent the operating system from starting (you need to restore the system from the installation media). It can also be displayed after a certain time after launch, for example, half an hour after the game starts. It can appear with some regularity, once every few days.
Causes of BSOD
Although Microsoft recommends searching the Internet for a solution to some users, it does not provide any real help in finding the causes. Without insider access to Windows, and due to the small number of user reports (with minidumps), all we’re left with is making the most likely assumptions. Here’s what we managed to find out:
- driver problem;
- incorrect operation of the dual-channel RAM mode, possibly due to RAM errors;
- hardwired problems in Windows updates;
- conflict of the periphery and its software with the system.
How to fix an error with the win32kbase.sys file?
Unfortunately, now all recommendations from Microsoft technical support come down to banal tips for scanning the system using sfc /snannow and DISM commands:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
And even these procedures work, although not for everyone. Here’s what else to try:
- Refresh Windows. It is known that in a number of versions there are more chances to encounter an error. If possible, it is better to update the system.
- Disable all USB. Provided that the BSOD appears constantly under some circumstances, it is worth trying to remove any extra peripherals.
- Reinstall drivers for graphics hardware and network card. On the channel MDTechAdams This method is recommended and judging by the reviews, likes, it works for some users.
- Try to extract one RAM plan or move to a slot that does not support dual-channel mode. Some users were able to get rid of the win32kbase.sys BSOD only after replacing the RAM.
For now, this is all we can offer to those who are facing the win32kbase.sys BSOD. First, you should try the standard methods for scanning the system and updating, reinstalling drivers. You should also try to update the system and remove all unnecessary peripherals. If all else fails, you can try to look for the cause in the RAM. We will be very grateful if you write what you tried, whether it worked or not. If you managed to fix your problem in some way, also unsubscribe in the comments.