Metro Exodus won’t start with “Previous Launch was unsuccessful” error
Not everyone is lucky enough to play Metro Exodus. The reason is not a lack of time, but problems with the game. Probably not a single launch of the game has gone smoothly. There are always problems. In the case of Metro Exodus, some players see an error when launching: “Previous Launch was unsuccessful. Would you like to start in safe mode? ”. If you agree to run in safe mode, nothing will happen. The complexity of the problem lies in the fact that the exact cause of the malfunction is unknown. But, it has already been possible to establish methods that help eliminate the failure.
Table of Contents
Ways to fix the error
Known methods for resolving the “Previous Launch was unsuccessful” error.
Installing the new DirectX 12
This platform is distributed free of charge on the official Microsoft website. There will be no problems with the installation, because the online installer is downloaded from the site. It automatically checks the hardware configuration and loads the correct version of DirectX 12. Link for download.
Installing Nvidia PhysX
The game uses the Nvidia PhysX platform, so it is a prerequisite for Metro Exodus to run. If the system does not have such a platform, it is enough to install it and the Metro will start working. You can download the required software by link…
Failure to meet the minimum game requirements
Metro Exodus is one of the most games, not all computers, especially from the budget category, can pull it. It is worth making sure that the hardware configuration meets or exceeds the minimum requirements of the game.
- System (OS): Windows 7 or newer;
- Processor (CPU): Intel Core i5-4440 or AMD equivalent
- Video adapter (GPU): GeForce GTX 670, 1050 or Radeon HD 7870;
- Random access memory (RAM): 8 GB;
- Disk space (ROM): 59 GB.
- OS: Windows 10;
- CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k or equivalent;
- Video card: GeForce GTX 1070, RTX 2060 or RX VEGA 56;
- RAM: 8 GB;
- ROM: 59 GB.
You need to understand that on a PC with minimal characteristics, the risk of crashes, crits and crashes increases dramatically. Ideally, the computer should have the recommended parameters.
Important! Some users have reported that the game has a Windows 7 support issue, upgrading to Windows 10 might help. Still, Metro Exodus is focused on the top ten.
Changing the configuration file settings
It is possible to manually change the settings for launching the game. After making adjustments, the problem often goes away.
What do we have to do:
- Open the explorer and follow the path “C: Users username Saved Games metro exodus 76561198015317955”.
- Run the configuration file in the destination folder, which is called “User.cfg”… You need to open the file through a text editor, you can use notepad.
- Find a parameter with a name r_api “…
- Its default value is 2, you need to replace it with 3.
According to one of the statements of forum users, this parameter causes the game to start with DirectX 12. The default value is responsible for starting the game with DirectX 11.
Most often, the problem is caused by video drivers, but drivers for other computer components cannot be discounted. Even sound drivers cause problems with games in unexpected ways.
To update all drivers at once, you can use the program Driver Pack Solution… After its launch, it starts scanning the system drivers and checking their relevance. If you can find outdated drivers, the program will offer to install them automatically.
If there is no time, you can agree to the automatic installation of the drivers, but it is better to install them manually from the official websites. The fact is that the program periodically installs not the newest software, this leads to various conflicts.
Changing Compatibility Settings
In the comments they write that it is possible to run the game in compatibility mode. True, this negatively affects the quality of the picture.
Algorithm of actions:
- Click “Win + S and enter MetroExodus.exe.
- Right click on the found result and select “Properties”…
- Go to the Compatibility page.
- Click on a block “Compatibility Mode” to enable it and select the option from the drop-down list “Windows XP (Service Pack 3)”…
- Activate the item a little below “Use a screen resolution of 640 × 480” and “Run this program as administrator”…
- Press the “Apply” button and you can close the window.
We need to be prepared that the quality of the game will be greatly reduced due to the decrease in resolution. After launching it will be displayed in the center of the screen in a small size. To slightly improve the picture quality, you can reduce the screen resolution.
Add Metro Exodus to firewall whitelist
Often times, Windows Firewall finds a threat where it doesn’t exist. In this case, the firewall blocks a dangerous file, which might be MetroExodus.exe. To remove a game from the list of blocked applications, you need to manually add it to the exceptions.
Principle of operation:
- Click on the “Start” button and enter the word “firewall”.
- You need to select “Windows Firewall” from the list (there is a similar item that does not fit right now).
- Click on the option “Allow interaction with the application …” using the menu on the left.
- Find the line with the name of the game and check the boxes in the “Private” and “Public” columns.
The last known method is to completely reinstall the game. Then you should run the installation via Steam and wait for it to complete. We hope the material helped in solving the described problem.