Programs for determining the temperature of the computer
A working computer always heats up, and a powerful one heats up twice as fast. It is not difficult to find out the exact temperature using special programs. However, what is this measurement for?
Table of Contents
Why do you need an application for testing and diagnosing hardware on a computer?
It is not the temperature of the computer that is measured, but its individual units. To do this, the central processing unit (CPU), video card, hard drive and motherboard are almost always equipped with thermal sensors – thermometers. This was done because each component has its own operating temperature range. Most graphics cards will handle up to 90 ° C, while CPUs will handle 105 ° C. To answer the question: “What processor temperature is considered normal for a computer?”, It is best to go to the manufacturer’s website and find recommendations for a specific model. You need to focus on the “T junction” criterion. Sometimes a more understandable one is used – “Maximum temperature”. It is very unlikely that the CPU will heat up to the maximum allowable level – the automation will first turn off the voltage supply. Why know the temperature if the computer itself does not smoke? There are 2 reasons for this:
- To reduce wear and tear on components… The higher the energy consumption, the more intense the heating. In this case, the electrical resistance changes – a separate transistor will not work under design conditions. If, after the measurement, the equipment manufacturer’s norm is not exceeded, then there is no need to improve the cooling.
- To find out the overclocking potential… A computer device is built with a safety margin. That is, it can be slightly heated, which allows you to “pull out” 10-20% of additional productivity. During such overclocking, it is important to know how much more you can increase the power consumption of the component, which directly affects the heating.
It is worth measuring at maximum PC load in order to:
- The user was sure that the system will work stably in the summer heat, and for 15 hours in a row.
- The overlocker understood how much system performance could be increased.
Computer testing utilities generate so many requests that all the computing power is needed to process them. Otherwise monitoring applications are used. Whatever the temperature of the computer, the program will simply display the current value, but it will not load the system with anything else.
Most often used for the processor and video card – the components most often overheating.
It is important to comply with the conditions:
- run 15-20 minutes after turning on the computer;
- the hardware must have drivers – otherwise the application will not “see” the thermal sensor;
- not focusing on one device – that the processor is great, then the motherboard is death.
Sometimes programs fail. For example, how can you find out the temperature of a computer’s power supply if it is not equipped with a thermal sensor? This is not possible without an external measuring device. Most power supplies are not equipped with a thermal sensor by default.
We diagnose overheating with AIDA
AIDA64 is paid, but you can download and a free 30-day trial. It is incomplete, but what is available is enough to determine the temperature. Convenient interface – data on the current temperature conditions are collected in one place.
To do this, you should:
- Make sure the “Menu” tab is selected in the left pane and not “Favorites”.
- Click on the 1st line “Computer”.
- Select “Sensors” from the drop-down menu.
- Look at the indicators in the right pane.
Hereinafter, the generally accepted decoding of individual thermal sensors is used:
- “Motherboard” is the temperature of the motherboard. If more than 50 ° C, then you need to reduce. For cooling, additional fans are installed in the system unit (desktop) or ventilating stands (laptop) are used.
- “CPU” or “CPU Package” is the central processing unit. There may be several lines: “CPU 1 Core 1”, “CPU 1 Core 2”, “CPU IA Cores”. It is enough to look at the “CPU” or “CPU Package” – the differences in the readings are minimal. Temperatures can reach 80 ° C under high load, but worse if such values are observed in idle mode.
- “GPU Diode” is the temperature of the video card. As is the case with the processor, there may be several lines: “DiodeHP (DisplO)”, “DiodeHP (MemlO)”. The differences are minimal – just look at the first value to correctly check the temperature of the video card, you need to load it with something resource-intensive. For example, enable the game with maximum graphics quality. For temperatures of 80 ° C and above, additional cooling is required. However, it is necessary to take into account the stability of the retention of the maximum temperature and the temperature regime recommended by the manufacturer of the device.
- There is no common abbreviation for hard drives in the utility. In AIDA64, the corresponding thermal sensor will be named the same as the drive itself. That is, it could be Hitachi HDSC72010 – a conditional example. Typically, the temperature of the disk is the lowest of all hardware. It can easily be 30-35 ° C. It is worth fearing when the value of 55 ° C is exceeded. This issue will be discussed in more detail in the last section of the article.
Information utility that can be used to monitor temperature. There is a paid and a free version – the functions of the latter are enough to check which components are overheating. To do this, after downloads and installation you need to do the following:
- look at the right panel of the initial window – information about the main components is displayed;
- if you need to investigate the temperature regime of a specific device, click on its line in the left panel, for example, for a video card it will be “Graphics devices”;
- detailed information will be displayed – for example, for a multi-core processor, the temperature of each core will be displayed.
The program is simple, but at the same time it has an advanced function of exporting the received data to a text or XML document.
Information about CPU temperature in CPUID HWMonitor
To find out the CPU temperature, after downloads and installing the program, the following is performed:
- find exactly where the processor data is located – on the initial window all lines are open, but you need to look at the one that starts with AMD or Intel;
- the utility displays the temperature for each core – always adjacent lines;
- in any row in HWMonitor there are 3 columns with values: current (Value), maximum (Max) and minimum (Min);
- pay attention to the maximum CPU temperature recorded by HWMonitor.
To be able to always see information about the current temperature in the system tray (lower right corner), you need to buy an application.
HWMonitor utility interface
The program resembles the standard Windows Device Manager. The difference is that more information is provided. So that unnecessary lines do not interfere, click on them one by one – they will be folded.
You need to be careful – the program displays values not only in Celsius, but also in Fahrenheit.
The CPU temperature that should be on the computer is an ambiguous statement. In general, the colder it is, the more reliable and the higher the overclocking potential. If you do not need to overclock the PC to pull the last toy, then 60-70 ° C will be normal.
The most suitable solution if you are only interested in the temperature regime of the processor. After downloads and settings, icons will appear in the tray indicating the temperature for each core. Right-clicking on one of them will bring up the main utility window. There you can track the dynamics of temperature changes – the highest and lowest values during the program run are displayed.
Find out the temperature of the processor using the command line
This is convenient if you need to check the heating once and do not bother installing third-party applications. First, you will need to start the command line: hold down the Win + R key combination, enter cmd, press Enter. A black window will open, where to copy:
- wmic / namespace: \ root wmi PATH MSAcpi_ThermalZoneTemperature get CurrentTemperature
Start the query by pressing Enter – the current temperature will be displayed in degrees Kelvin, multiplied by ten. You don’t need to take the last digit into account, you need to subtract 273 from this number (three-digit).
You can also use PowerShell. To do this, hold down Win + R, enter powershell, start the utility by pressing Enter. In the appeared window, copy:
- get-wmiobject msacpi_thermalzonetemperature -namespace “root / wmi”
A lot of system data will be displayed, but the line “CurrentTemperature” is needed – it will contain the temperature in Kelvin.
How to lower the temperature of the processor on the computer if it is too high? There are 2 key ways:
- Improve cooling. Install a more powerful cooler, increase the fan speed on the existing one, clean the internal space of the system unit.
- Make sure that the software on the PC is in good condition. Often, incorrect application settings cause full CPU utilization even at rest, similar things are common in the presence of viruses.
If you need to get as much information about the video adapter as possible, then you should use the utilities listed below. But you need to take into account that there are often 2 adapters in the system: integrated (soldered into the motherboard or combined with the processor) and discrete (separately connected). Overheating problems are typical for discrete ones – they are more productive. The critical level for each device is individual and is indicated on the manufacturer’s website. For example, for nVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti it is 92 ° C.
FurMark for evaluating the performance and stability of a video card
The program is mainly intended for stress testing the graphics system. It creates maximum loads and analyzes what is the weak point in the video card. After downloads, installation and launch window will be displayed immediately. Under the colorful logo, you need to find the GPU line, at the end of it the current temperature will be indicated. It is recommended to run a crash test after that – just click on the “GPU Stress Test” button. If the PC does not reboot during the test, the video card will definitely not overheat.
FurMark also includes GPU-Z, a utility for obtaining information about the video card. To launch it, click on the GPU-Z button. It can also be separately download and install. To find out the temperature using this utility, perform the following after starting:
- go to the Sensors tab at the top of the window – this is the second tab;
- find the line GPU Temperature.
The utility is convenient in that it displays the temperature change on the graph. This is convenient if you are interested in the capabilities of your computer after a long game. It is immediately clear how the cooling system can handle the load.
For disk (HDD, SSD)
Overheating is more inherent in HDDs than SSDs. A classic hard disk contains magnetic disks that rotate by an electric motor – the main heating comes from it. Nothing heats up in SSDs, and usually such drives work normally up to 70 ° C, and when this value is exceeded, some options are simply disabled. Therefore, it is worth investigating the temperature regime only for the HDD under the following conditions:
- put a large amount of information (at least 10 GB) for copying or downloading from the network;
- do not enable third-party applications – let the system be busy only with data recording;
- the main thing is that the disk should work intensively at least 15 minutes.
After such a run, the disk will warm up well, and the obtained indicators will be useful, and not just informational.
It is important that for HDD and SSD, temperature is not the main factor in wear and tear. To investigate the state of the drive, the SMART attributes are evaluated first using special utilities (HDDScan or CrystalDiskInfo).
After downloads and installing this application, you can instantly find out the temperature of the disks. However, compatibility issues may arise, since HDD Temperature has not been updated for a long time. Regarding the functionality of the utility, it is elementary, you definitely cannot get confused in it.