Proven ways to fix error 0x800f0954
An error with the code 0x800f0954 appears on the network more and more often. It appears when you try to add various additional components to Windows 10. It is most often seen during the addition of the .NET Framework of different versions. One of the built-in command line tools, DISM, may also fail. Instead of scanning the system or performing other system tasks, a window may appear with a failure. The ways to fix, as well as the causes of error 0x800f0954 in Windows 7-10 are described below.
Table of Contents
What causes error 0x800f0954?
To understand the source of the problem, experts studied about 30 user reports. This Windows state was then reproduced on test machines. Result – the same error appeared.
It was possible to establish the following culprits of malfunctions:
- The computer is unable to connect to the Windows servers responsible for delivering updates. It is very likely that the system was unable to contact the WU servers on its own. The problem is typical for computer networks that connect to domains and are configured to automatically download updates from the WSUS server. To fix the error, it is enough to download the update bypassing the WSUS service.
- DISM CBS logs are causing the problem. The DISM utility can generate CBS logs with error reports that are actually missing. Deleting service logs helps fix the system glitch. Most likely, when you restart the Windows scan through DISM, the utility will show the correct result.
- .NET Framework update failed via built-in OS component. To download and install a newer version of the .NET Framework without error, it is best to use Powershell;
- Group Policy settings block the action. There is one setting in Group Policy that, when inactive, can cause error 0x800f0954. The solution is to enable one option in the editor.
The remedies were selected according to the listed problems. Each malfunction can be eliminated individually by changing just one setting or by performing a few manual steps. However, in order to understand what the true root cause of the problem is, sometimes you need to perform several manipulations. All methods are arranged in the order in which it is advisable to use them from the point of view of efficiency and ease of use.
Method 1: bypass WSUS
Obviously, access to Microsoft servers is required to obtain additional Windows components. If the system cannot establish the required connection, error 0x800f0954 appears. Approximately 35% of all server machine crash reports are caused by problems connecting to the server. This is due to the fact that they are configured to download updates from WSUS servers.
If the reader has a similar problem, most likely the computer was once on a domain network, so it retained the old Group Policy settings. In this scenario, you should install a temporary crutch to bypass the WSUS server. To do this, you need to change the registry settings.
Important! Before working with the registry, it is better to make a Windows restore point. Changing the wrong parameter or setting the wrong value can disrupt the correct operation of the system.
What should be done:
- Press the combination of buttons Win + R on the keyboard.
- In the Run dialog box, insert a word regedit and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter (allows you to start the registry editor with administrator rights). If a notification from the “User Account Control” application appears, confirm the action with the “Yes” button.
- In the vertical pane, open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE Policies Microsoft Windows WindowsUpdate AU sequentially or paste the link into the navigation pane. Perhaps “WindowsUpdate” cannot be found, in this case it is worth clicking RMB on the working window and creating this key. Do the same with the “AU” key.
- In the destination folder in the panel on the right, right-click and select “New” – “String parameter”. The value needs to be renamed to “UserWUServer”.
- Double click to open the newly created parameter and set it to 0.
- Exit Registry Editor and restart your computer.
Method 2: Clearing CBS Logs
Based on their personal experience and the experience of many users, we can say that removing the CBS (Component Based Servicing) log can help in the fight against error 0x800f0954. It is generated by DISM. The next step is to re-run DISM and reproduce the step to install the Windows component that previously caused the error.
Step by step guide:
- Open “Explorer” and go to the path C: Windows Logs CBS.
- Once in the CBS folder, press Ctrl + A to select all content and Del to delete it. Once all .log and .cab files are removed, you can close File Explorer.
- Click RMB on “Start” and select “Command line (Administrator). If a UAC notification appears, click “Yes” in it to confirm the granting of rights.
- In the console with full rights, insert the command – Dism.exe / online / enable-feature / featurename: NetFX3 / source: C: and press Enter.
- Restart the system.
Method 3: using PowerShell to install the .NET Framework
If you have a problem installing the .NET Framework using DISM, you should turn to another tool – Powershell. It works in a different way and is more likely to install a suitable component.
- Press the combination Win + R, insert into the line powershell and click on the keys Ctrl + Shift + Enter.
- After starting Powershell in elevated mode insert entry Add-WindowsCapability -Online -Name NetFx3 ~ ~ ~ ~ – Source D: sources sxs and apply the action with the Enter button.
- Close the console, and restart the computer.
- Check if everything is working correctly.
Method 4: change the settings of the Group Policy Editor
The method is applicable in a situation where error 0x800f0954 accompanies an attempt to add RSAT instrumentation. In such a situation, the user will have to make a couple of changes to the Group Policy settings.
Important! Group Policy Editor is not available on all versions of Windows. If the “ten” is set in the Home edition, by default there will be no access to this tool. You will have to additionally install the editor.
If you have access to group policies, you should:
- Click on the magnifying glass icon next to “Start”, insert the file name gpedit.msc and open it.
- Inside the editor, go to the “Administrative Templates System” section.
- In the right pane, find the parameter “Specify parameters for installing optional components …” and double-click on it.
- Switch it to the “Enabled” state.
- Check the box next to “Download content to recover …”.
- Click on the “Apply” button and close the editor.
That’s all, one of the methods should help fix error 0x800f0954 and still install the required Windows component. Initially, it is worth choosing your situation and moving on to a solution developed for it. If you cannot identify your problem, you can follow all the steps sequentially.