Repair error 0x0000185 on Windows 10: solutions
The error with the code 0x0000185 can be seen while booting a computer running Windows 10. The error is extremely serious, because it does not allow users to enter the OS and fully use their PC.
The error message 0x0000185 contains the following information:
Your computer or device needs to be restored
The operating system could not be loaded because a critical system driver is missing or contains errors.
File: WINDOWS System32 Drivers NTFS.sys
Error code: 0x0000185
You will need to use recovery tools. If you do not have installation media (such as a disc or USB device), contact your computer administrator or the manufacturer of your computer or device.
What causes error 0x0000185?
- Kernel subsystem problems.
- Corrupted Windows 10 bootloader.
- Recent transition to another version of Windows.
- Damage to system files.
Methods for solving error 0x0000185
Method # 1 Startup Recovery
Notice the mention of a kernel file on the error screen? Then, most likely, you are dealing with problems with the Kernel subsystem of the same name. Fortunately, you can fix this problem by using the recovery tools on your Windows 10 installation disc.
The note: be aware that the procedure below will require you to have the correct Windows installation media. Go tofollowing link and check out the material from Microsoft on the topic.
Do you have Windows installation media on hand? Then try the following:
- turn on your PC if it was turned off;
- connect the installation media to your PC and restart it;
- as soon as the computer starts to boot, wait for the “Press any key to boot from the CD or DVD” message to appear and press any button to load the media;
- click on the line “System Restore”;
- then go through: Diagnostics → Additional parameters;
- select the “Startup Repair” option;
- then you need to wait for the recovery process to complete, and then restart the PC by disconnecting the installation media from it.
When you boot your computer, you will understand whether the error 0x0000185 has been fixed or not.
Method # 2 Restoring the bootloader Windows 10
A similar issue can occur as a result of a corrupted Windows 10 bootloader (BCD). Some users claim that they managed to get rid of error 0x0000185 when they tried to perform a bootloader repair. Let’s try to do this and we:
- Use the previous method in this article to access advanced options in the Recovery Environment (Windows RE) of your Windows 10 installation media.
- select the “Command line” option;
- run the following set of commands at the command line:
- Bootrec / scanos
- Bootrec / fixMBR
- Bootrec / fixBoot
- Bootrec / rebuildBCD
- after that close Command Prompt and restart your computer.
We look at the system boot and check if the error 0x0000185 has disappeared.
Method # 3 System Restore
During the upgrade to Windows 10, there is a small chance of corrupting, again, the system bootloader (BCD). Didn’t the previous method work for you? Then we suggest using a restore point, which can be accessed through the same recovery environment on the installation media. It is true that you will lose some data, nevertheless, you have a great chance of bringing your computer back to life. So, try the following:
- follow the directions in the previous methods and get to the advanced options in Windows RE;
- select the “System Restore” option;
- then you need to select a point, at the time of creation of which no error 0x0000185 existed, and start system restore.
Wait for the repair process to finish and check for error 0x0000185.
Method # 4 Reinstall Windows
Unfortunately, in some cases it is simply not possible to get rid of such a critical error. If you are still suffering from 0x0000185, then we suggest that you simply reinstall your PC to return Windows 10 to its working state. Reinstallation is done, of course, through the Windows installation media.