The complete guide to cooking and food pairing at Valheim
Unlike many other survival games, Valheim does not require players to keep an eye on their hunger and thirst. However, the game mechanics are designed so that cooking is one of the main activities, as food restores health, stamina, and even provides pleasant buffs. There are three food slots for food, which are best filled with different foods, which in the compartment can have good positive effects. Various combinations of dishes will be discussed in this guide.
Early food choices
At the start, players have a fairly limited selection of foods that they are able to obtain or prepare. While in the meadows, before defeating the first boss of Eiktir, raspberries, honey, cooked meat, fried tail and red mushrooms will be available.
- Raspberry – increases health by 10 units, heals 1 HP per second, increases stamina by 20. The effect lasts 600 seconds.
- Cooked Meat – increases health by 40, heals 2 HP per second, increases stamina by 30. The effect lasts 1200 seconds.
- Fried tail – increases HP by: 35, heals 2 HP per second, increases stamina by 20. Lasts 1000 seconds.
- Red mushroom – increases 15 health points, heals 1 HP per second, increases stamina by 20. The effect lasts 600 seconds.
- Honey – increases HP by 20, heals 5 HP per second, increases stamina by 20. The action lasts 300 seconds.
The best food combination for a beginner would be honey, grilled meat, and grilled ponytail. Honey can be collected after building bee hives. Fried meat is obtained from deer and wild boars, and tails are collected from nyxes, which inhabit various water sources. After killing Eiktir, access to several more recipes opens up.
Food from the Black Forest
The Black Forest offers a more varied diet for our character. Once they manage to get some tin, players can create a Cauldron and Fermenter to cook higher quality food, as well as brew potions. Products of the Black Forest:
- Blueberry – increases HP by 15 units, restores 1 HP per second, increases stamina by 20. The effect lasts 600 seconds.
- Yellow mushroom – increases health by 20, heals 1 HP per second, increases stamina by 20. The effect lasts 600 seconds.
- Carrot – increases health by 15, restores 1 HP per second, increases stamina by 15. Lasts 600 seconds.
- Carrot soup (cauldron required) – gives 20 health points, heals 2 HP per second, restores 60 points of stamina. The effect lasts 1500 seconds.
- Royal Jam (requires a cauldron) – gives 30 points of HP, restores 2 HP per second, increases stamina by 40. The effect lasts 1200 seconds.
- Cooked fish (you need to purchase a fishing rod from a merchant) – increases HP by 45, heals 2 HP per second, gives 25 stamina. Lasts 1200 seconds.
The best food combination in the Black Forest would be cooked fish, carrot soup and royal jam. Soup and jam are cooked in a cauldron. To make jam, you need 8 raspberries and 8 blueberries. To get carrots, you need to collect carrot seeds in the open spaces of the biome and plant them on your site. To cook the soup, you need three carrots and a red mushroom.
Swamp biome food
In the swamps, you can find draugs, from which giblets fall, and also = find turnip seeds. These ingredients can be used to prepare the following:
- Sausages – increase HP by 60, restore 3 HP per second, increase stamina by 40. The effect lasts 1600 seconds.
- Turnip stew – gives 50 health points, restores 2 HP per second, increases stamina by 50. Lasts 1600 seconds.
Sausages can be made with raw meat, bog milk thistle, and draugr offal. Turnip stew is prepared oddly from turnips mixed with raw meat. You will need a boiler for cooking. Carrot soup, turnip stew, and sausage are great dinners for players looking for more stamina. Cooked fish, turnip stews, and sausages are better for those who need more health.
Since the mountain biome does not offer any additional products, the next expansion of the food basket awaits players in the plains. After defeating Moder, it will be possible to recycle barley and other foods found in this region. The grown barley can be ground and made into bread. Blood sausage and salmon recipes will also become available.
- Cooked salmon meat – increases HP by 70, recovers 3 HP per second, increases stamina by 40. The effect lasts 2000 seconds.
- Blood sausage – increases HP by 90, restores 4 HP per second, increases stamina by 50. The action lasts 2400 seconds.
- Bread – gives 40 health units, heals 2 HP per second, increases stamina by 70. The positive effect lasts for 1800 seconds.
- Fish rolls – increase HP by 60, restore 4 HP per second, add 90 units of stamina. Lasts 2400 seconds.
- Bullfin Pie – increases health by 80, recovers 4 HP per second, increases stamina by 80 points. The effect lasts 2400 seconds.
- Cloudberry – increases HP by: 15, heals 1 HP per second, increases stamina by 25. The action lasts 800 seconds.
Food from the sea
For those who are pumped enough and brave enough to conquer the seas, access to sea serpents opens up, from which you can cook delicious and healthy food. Raw Snake Meat can be crafted into the following dishes:
- Cooked snake meat – increases HP by 70, heals 3 HP per second, increases stamina by 40. The effect lasts 2000 seconds.
- Snake stew – increases health by 80 units, heals 4 HP per second, increases stamina by 80 points. Lasts 2400 seconds.
The best combination of all the dishes available are: Bullfinch Pie, Snake Stew, and Blood Sausage. However, do not forget that Valheim is still in early access at the moment, so in the future there may be changes in both the range of products available and their properties.