“VSS Service Shuts Down Due to Idle Timeout”: How to Fix
The message “VSS service is shutting down due to idle timeout” can be found in the “Event Viewer” system component. Typically, users come across this message when trying to understand why the Windows Volume Shadow Copy service is deactivated on their system.
Typically, the message “VSS is shutting down due to idle timeout” occurs for two reasons:
- the VSS service is set to start manually;
- damage to system files.
You can fix this problem using two proven methods, which we will look at below.
How to Get Rid of “VSS Service Is Shutting Down Due to Idle Timeout”
Method # 1 Adjusting VSS Service Settings
The message “VSS service is shutting down due to idle timeout” appears when the Volume Shadow Copy Service on a user’s system is set to start manually. You need to open the properties of this service and set it to start automatically. To do this, do the following:
- press Windows + R;
- in a blank line write “services.msc” and press Enter;
- find the “Volume Shadow Copy” service in the list and double-click on it with the left mouse button;
- in the drop-down menu of the startup type, select the value “Automatic”;
- click the “Apply” and “OK” buttons;
- restart your computer.
We go to the “Event Viewer” and see if the message “VSS service is shutting down due to idle timeout” disappeared.
Method number 2 Recovering system files
In rather rare cases, the problem we are considering today can appear due to previously damaged Windows system files. It is enough to run the SFC and DISM utilities to check this. Try the following series of steps:
- press Windows + R;
- enter “cmd” and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter;
- run the following two commands:
- Dism.exe / online / cleanup-image / scanhealth;
- Dism.exe / online / cleanup-image / restorehealth;
- restart your PC and check Event Viewer for an error;
- if the problem is still present, then reopen the command prompt as shown in the second step;
- write the command “sfc / scannow” and press Enter;
- wait for the utility to finish and restart your PC.
We hope this article helped you with the “VSS service is shutting down due to idle timeout” solution.