If, when you start one of the programs installed on the computer, the error “the program can not be started is missing mfc140u dll is missing” error, then do not panic. Reinstalling the application will not solve this problem; you do not need to reinstall the operating system either. If the system did not detect the mfc140u dll, then you just need to choose the right approach and the problem will be solved. The following are ways to solve the problem, they are applicable for Windows 7 x32, Windows 8 x64 and Windows 8.1 x64, but these methods also work on Windows 10, where the problem occurs extremely rarely. The file mfc140u dll Windows 10 x64 is usually present in the system, but if an error occurs with its absence, you can solve it in any of the presented ways.
Why is the mfc140u.dll file missing?
The message that the mfc140u dll is missing and cannot start speaks for itself. The user initiated the download of an application, it could be a game or an office suite of programs, it could be a photo editor, Coreldraw, Ashampoo or Continent-TLS, but the system could not find the mfc140u dll where it should be. Without this library, the software cannot work, therefore launching becomes impossible. A logical question arises as to why this file is not in the system and what to do in this case.
Why is the mfc140u dll file missing from the system:
- Virus software. If there are viruses in the system, then they can use libraries to disguise themselves, as a result, the software cannot use them to run.
- The installation of the Visual C ++ components to which this library belongs has not been performed.
- A pirated version of the operating system is used.
The logical solution is to download and install the file, but it’s not that simple. Indeed, you can download the mfc140u dll file for Windows x64 and transfer it to the system folder, but it will not be registered in the system, the library will not be used by the software. This is how Windows security works. Nevertheless, there are solutions to the problem, and there are even several of them.
Where can I get / download this file?
The most optimal way to download this file is to install the Visual C ++ components from the official Microsoft website. It will be a safe, fast and fairly simple solution.
However, users often enter relevant queries into a search engine and get the result they want. The search engine leads the user to a third-party site, where this file is located in a separate form. If this is the original file, then there is nothing dangerous about downloading it, but no one knows if it is really safe. Often, behind DLL files, viruses are hidden, which, after downloading to a computer and transferring them to the system folder, harm the entire system. Some viruses will slow down your computer, others will completely close access to it and will engage in extortion. Therefore, it is not recommended to download a separate mfc140u dll file from third-party sites.
How to fix the program cannot start error mfc140u.dll is missing?
In fact, the solution is quite simple and it lies on the surface. There are 2 ways to solve the problem, each user can choose the best one for himself. Inexperienced people are advised to opt for the first method, it is safe and fairly easy to implement.
Method 1: download along with Visual C ++
This file is one of the libraries of the Visual C ++ system component. If it is absent, then it makes sense to download Visual C ++ and install the application on the computer, along with it, all the necessary DLL files will be installed for the software to work correctly. In order to do this, you need to follow these steps:
- Go to the official website Visual C ++…
- In the Visual Studio 2015, 2017 and 2019 section, you need to download the files for Windows 10, 8.1 and Windows 7 x64 – vc_redist.x64.exe and vc_redist.x86.exe (a set of libraries for 32-bit). It is imperative to install libraries for both x64 and x32, otherwise the method may not work.
- Initialize the launch of the downloaded files and install them on the system.
- Reboot the system after installation.
- The necessary files after reboot will appear in the folders “C: Windows System32 and C: Windows SysWOW64”.
It is also advisable to delete old files before installing. To do this, you need to go to “Add or Remove Programs”, which is in the computer settings. Find Visual C ++ and uninstall it. If there is no such software in the list, then you should check the C: Windows System32 and C: Windows SysWOW64 folders and delete the files that caused the crash.
Method 2: download and register manually
If the first method cannot be implemented for one reason or another, then you can download a separate file and register it in the system. To do this, follow these steps:
- Download the mfc140u.dll file to your computer from trusted sources.
- Copy it to the Windows System32 or Windows SysWOW64 folder.
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing Win + R keys.
- Specify the regsvr32 mfc140u.dll command and press Enter.
- The file will be registered with the system.
If, when starting the application, a message appears stating that the execution of mfc140u dll cannot be continued, since it is not present in the system, then it is better to turn to the first method. If it is not possible to install Visual C ++ components, then you should register the file manually. Here you need to pay close attention to the site from which the file is being downloaded and whether you can trust this source. It is because of downloading such files that the system becomes infected with viruses, which are then extremely difficult to get rid of.