Why is Apex Legends 100% cpu, gpu or disk load?
Apex Legends is not a very resource-intensive game, even office computers with Intel Pentium G4400 or i3 from the 4th generation “pull” it. Moreover, not just at the minimum settings, but also with a comfortable fps with average graphics parameters. If Apex is using 100% CPU or GPU, which should be able to handle the game easily, then there is some problem. Many of the affected users have i7 from 7th generation and RTX series graphics cards. Of course, we must exclude the fact that the PC simply cannot cope with the game due to technical characteristics. It is necessary to compare the real hardware of the computer with the system requirements of Apex. If everything is fine in this regard, you can proceed to fix the problem when Apex loads 100% of the CPU, GPU or disk.
How do I fix the problem?
Here’s a selection of ways to fix Apex CPU overuse:
- Update Microsoft Visual C ++. It is known that some users experienced relief after updating this module. It can be downloaded from the website Microsoft…
- Disable dynamic scaling… If this option, which is set by default x2, is active, the system tries to double the resolution of the game on the monitor. Since this value is often excessive, the PC then zooms out. All these additional actions consume a lot of PC resources. To disable this setting, open the NVIDIA Control Panel and navigate to the Manage 3D Settings section. It remains only for the “DSR – degree” parameter to set the “Off” position.
- Turn off game mode in settings Windows… It can be deactivated through the “Options” section of the “Game Panel” tab. The game mode is meant to help, but it doesn’t always handle games consistently.
- Set limit fps… If not, the system consumes all resources, generating an excess number of frames per second. The maximum can be set to 60, 120 or 144 Hz. There is a similar setting in the “Nvidia Control Panel”. You can also run the game with an argument in the shortcut -fps_max 144…
- Switch to windowed mode… Some users who had 100% CPU utilization after switching to border game mode received an improvement. The game was loading about 50% of the resources. To do this, press Alt + Enter.
- Disable anti-aliasing… The tweak is available in the Nvidia Control Panel, and while it doesn’t fix the problem completely, it should slightly reduce the load on the processor.
- Clear cache Origin… To do this, enter the “Run” line % ProgramData% / Origin… The internal folder LocalContent should be deleted.
- Uninstall or update Razer Synapse… It is a known fact that older versions of software do not work well with Apex.
Mandatory test method
A non-standard method that helps users of some i3, i5, i7 processors. Some of their models are more likely to encounter failures than others.
What should be done:
- Launch the Apex Legends game and use Alt + Tab to minimize it.
- Open “Task Manager”.
- Right-click (RMB) on the process and select “Details”.
- Find the R5apex.exe process, right-click on it and select “Set Similarity”.
- Deselect All Processes and select 4 cores or less.
- Click again on the RMB process and “Set priority” – “Normal”.
This procedure is not a complete solution, but already something. As a result, all other cores will be turned off and the load will drop to 50-70% on the CPU. It is important here to check if the game is working stably or is already starting to lag. In case of low fps, you can add 1-2 more cores. Now the computer will use the remaining resources to solve other tasks, it will start to heat up less and work more stable with background processes.