Fixing all common Doom Eternal issues
It’s no secret that Doom Eternal on PC encounters numerous errors: initialization failure, stuttering, interruptions in sound, missing Vulkan-1.dll, and others. This compilation includes common game issues and solutions or workarounds to keep you playing until the developer fixes the issue.
Table of Contents
How do I fix issues in Doom Eternal?
The long-awaited sequel to Doom Eternal this time turned out to be much more optimized in comparison with the previous part. The game now works fine on medium-performance systems at 60 fps. At the same time, the computer version is still subject to various problems that the developers have not yet fixed.
No device, unable to free memory
When enabling Doom Eternal on laptops, users often see an issue where the “No physical device” error is displayed. A similar problem is “Failed to allocate video memory.” The first step is to update the video driver for any of these problems. Most often it helps.
The error was not resolved? Sometimes the difficulty is associated with an integrated GPU. Open the BIOS and turn off the pre-installed processor graphics in it. All image processing will be performed by a discrete video adapter. There is also a slightly easier way to achieve the goal – open the “Device Manager”, then – “Video adapters” and through the PCM on the built-in graphics select “Disable”.
The game does not start or there is a crash on launch
For many gamers, Doom Eternal does not turn on at all, while for others, the game criticizes almost immediately. The next few steps should help.
What to do:
- Update graphics drivers. Outdated software may block the normal operation of the game. The necessary software can be downloaded from the manufacturer’s official website.
- Disable overlay. To do this, you need to open Steam, go to the “Library” and through the RMB on the game go to “Properties”. It remains only to uncheck “Enable overlay on Steam”.
- Reinstall DirectX. Especially often, the problem manifests itself in a critical error without a message, but in fact it is generated by the xinput1_3.dll file.
- Turn off antivirus. Sometimes Windows Defender or third-party software identifies Doom Eternal as a Trojan horse. If we turn it off, the problem should be fixed. In the future, it is worth adding the executable file to the whitelist.
- Eliminate third party monitor software like MSI Afterburner or GeForce Experience. Disabling them often helps fix the problem.
- Configuration via RivaTuner. In the RivaTuner (RTSS) application, press the “Add” button, specify the file with the exe extension in the game folder and set the detection to “None”.
- Update Windows. For Windows 7, update KB3080149 should be available. In Windows 10, it’s best to just run an update search.
- Grant administrator rights. We set the parameter in the “Properties” of the shortcut, which allows you to use the administrator’s privileges.
Critical error after loading
There are quite a few reports of unexpected bugs in Doom Eternal. Some players indicate a crash from the main menu, others indicate periodic errors at any time. Mostly the problem is reported by those who installed Steam and the game – in different folders. If you move Doom Eternal to your Steam directory (via properties on the Library tab), the problem should go away.
Another “crutch” can be turning off Wi-Fi or cable connection to the Internet after starting the game. The application will automatically go offline and will no longer hang or be thrown away.
The last solution is to right-click on the IDtechlauncher.exe file, go to Properties, to the Compatibility tab, and change the screen resolution. It remains only to save the changes and start the game.
Failed to initialize Steam API
Most often, the error occurs when using a Windows account without administrator rights. A working fix is to navigate to a profile with admin privileges or to grant this profile the appropriate permissions.
If the account has administrator rights, you should right-click on “Steam.exe”, open “Properties”, and then – on the “Compatibility” page, set the launch as administrator. It’s important to remember to save your changes.
What if Vulkan-1.dll is missing?
The “Missing Vulkan-1.dll” message does not appear as often as past problems, but it is easy to fix. All you need to do is update your GPU drivers. An alternative way out of the situation is to download the Vulkan API and install it.
There are regular complaints of crackling, buzzing and other interference in the sounds from Doom Eternal.
How to fix it:
- Go to the “Control Panel” on the “Sound” page.
- Select the active device and go to its “Properties”.
- Open the “Advanced” tab.
- In the line “Format by default” set one of the last items.
- Launch the game and check if the problem is resolved. If not, repeat step 4, gradually decreasing the sound quality.
Doom Eternal has no sound
A lot of players complain about the lack of sound during the game. This is mainly associated with active Windows Sonic For Headphones or Dolby Surround.
- Go to the “Sound” section through the “Control Panel”.
- On the “Spatial Sound” page, deactivate the corresponding option and click “Apply”.
How to fix Doom Eternal lagging and freezing?
In general, Doom Eternal is a well-optimized project focused on fps of at least 60. However, performance problems often accompany players on computers, and each game has a number of users reporting low fps, freezes, etc.
Several ways to improve performance:
- Install the latest version of the video driver.
- Close processes in the background that are consuming a huge amount of CPU memory, RAM, graphics core or HDD resources.
- Customize the processing of the game. You should right-click on the desktop, select “Nvidia Control Panel”. On the Manage 3D Settings tab, select Program Settings. Now you need to enable “Vertical Sync”, and in the “Power Management Mode” section select “Prefer Performance”. In the option “Filtering textures” set “Maximum performance”. After starting the game, turn off vertical sync in the settings and performance will increase significantly.
These are all known fixes for Doom Eternal’s known bugs, from launching issues to sound or performance issues.