Fixing crashes and crits due to the Red Dead Redemption 2 video card
RDR 2 overall is a pretty well-optimized game even on PC, but it’s still far from perfect. For some users, the game is thrown out at startup, it completely freezes or refuses to turn on completely. Often there are complaints about the “Failed to initialize the video card” error. The purpose of this article is to cover all the parameters that you need to check to fix crashes on launch or crash after starting the game.
How to optimize your PC and software?
If you haven’t run RDR 2 yet, you should first compare the computer configuration with the minimum requirements. Does the PC satisfy them? Then let’s move on.
- Checking for Update 1903 for Windows
- Installing the latest drivers for the video card.
- We update DirectX, Visual C ++, Net Framework.
- Before starting, we remove all unnecessary programs from processes, especially the tasks of other game services.
- We move the game to a section, in the path to which there are no Russian symbols. We do the same with the launcher. We can just rename the folders.
- Download the new version of the launcher and initiate the integrity check process.
- We temporarily turn off the antivirus or add the game to exceptions.
- We use a descriptive video card for processing RDR For this, it uses the “Nvidia Control Panel”.
- Launch Rockstar Social Club, RDR 2 and launcher with administrator rights.
- On laptops, open “Power Management” and select the “Maximum Performance” mode.
- Updating the launcher.
- Installing a new version of the game.
- We restart the computer. After rebooting, you may need to turn off the antivirus again.
- Turn off all secondary programs, especially those that consume a lot of resources.
For 9 out of 10 players, after carrying out the listed procedures, Minecraft starts working properly.
Dealing with a video card error
To troubleshoot problems due to incompatibility between software and hardware, we suggest resetting the launcher, as well as configuration files. The first step is to remove your Rockstar account data.
- Open the Games Launcher and go to Settings.
- We go to the “Account Data” tab.
- Click on the option “Delete profile”, and then – “Delete”.
- We re-authorize in the profile.
Removing configuration files
After uninstalling them, the data will be generated automatically. To do this, go to “My Documents” and follow the path Rockstar Games Red Dead Redemption 2 . We delete completely the entire Settings directory.
Moving on to DirectX 12 mode
If there are problems with the initialization of the video adapter or drawing, it is worth moving from the Vulkan system to DX11, DX12. In the latter version, there are undesirable manifestations in the form of highlights and artifacts.
What should be done:
- We select the dx12 mode. If it doesn’t work correctly, go to using dx11.
- Open the Settings folder along the path specified earlier. Open the system.xml file and write DX12 to the line with the image settings, replacing Vulcan.
- Go to the “Properties” of the file and set the value to “Read Only”.
This guide fixes most of the problems causing RDR 2 crashes. Also, some methods help to better optimize the game.