How to copy old WhatsApp chats to another phone?
If you log into your personal WhatsApp profile on a new smartphone, contacts will become available, but not the contents of early conversations from the old device. Messages are not sent automatically. In this article, we will show you how to transfer WhatsApp chats from one gadget to another, so as not to lose anything of value.
Method 1: Backup and Restore from Google Drive
Modern versions of WhatsApp automatically copy data to your Google Drive. This is the simplest way to transfer information between devices, because everything is already on the cloud. It is enough to check if the backup is active and retrieve chats on a new device.
- Click on the 3 dots in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Go to the “Settings” section, open the “Chats” tab and find “Backup” in the internal directory.
- In the target section, you can manually start copying or configure automatic upload to the server. You can choose any option, but the most convenient way is to use the cloud service.
- On a new gadget with WhatsApp installed, it is enough to turn on the application and agree with the proposal to restore old chats and media from Google Drive.
- Text content and contacts will appear almost instantly, but transferring media content will take time. The procedure runs in the background.
Method 2: Manually copy chats and move them
If you don’t want to wait for the automatic transfer of WhatsApp data via the cloud, or you need to do everything the old fashioned way, it’s easy to make a manual backup. All that remains is to transfer the file to a new smartphone and unzip it.
- Go to the WhatsApp settings menu on your old device.
- Open the “Chats and calls” section and go to “Chat backup”.
- If the old and new smartphones have Android and you can install an SD card on both devices, just copy the data to a USB flash drive.
- If you manage to switch the drive from the previous one to the current phone, all that remains is to restore the data. A request about this appears automatically after authorization in the application.
If the phone saves data to the internal memory, you will have to use an alternative method that requires the participation of a computer. The principle is the same, but you need to connect the source device to the PC via USB and put it in storage mode. It is worth extracting a file from memory with backup data, it is located in WhatsApp / Database and is called like “msgstore-2019-05-29.db.crypt”, each element is indicated in the name of the date of creation. The file with the latest date is of interest here.
After successfully moving the data to the PC, you need to reconnect the new gadget and download the file in question to it. If the system prompts you to replace an item in WhatsApp / Databases, you should agree. After moving the chat database, it remains to launch the application and confirm the phone number. WhatsApp will find the backup on its own and offer to restore its contents. It only takes a few seconds to complete the procedure.
Method 3: Transfer WhatsApp Chats from iPhone to Android
Moving message history from Android to Android and from iPhone to iPhone are similar and fairly simple procedures. However, the transfer of content between different operating systems cannot be performed using standard capabilities. The only option is to use a dubious application that cannot be vouched for, so the method will not be discussed in detail.
Maybe you know other ways of transferring data? If with their help you managed to easily transfer messages in WhatsApp between devices, share them in the comments.