How to fix Windows 10 file system error 1073740791?
The file system error 1073740791 in Windows 10 is not yet well understood, so you only have to guess about the true causes of the problem. Of course, we have already made logical conclusions about what exactly provokes this failure, but we had to be guided by the data found on the forums. Methods that worked for several users with these errors indicate several root causes of the malfunction. Among them: damaged system files, bad sectors or hard disk errors, incorrect Microsoft store data, or broken user data. There are also very specific reasons, one of which is installing a new theme or changing the sound scheme. Now we will tell
Important! For the purposes of this article, we are talking about a file system error. There is also a similar message Process finished with exit code -1073740791 (0xC0000409) in the Python code – this is no longer in our part, for you on the thematic developer forums. Also, to avoid confusion, we do not touch on the same error in Minecraft, the methods are different there.
Procedure for correcting error 1073740791
The methods listed below are a guide that you need to move through, as opposed to independent methods, as is often the case for other errors. You may not have to go to the very end, but the first few procedures are likely to be done by almost everyone.
Safe mode startup
Since this error can prevent the launch of various programs and even the command line, it is imperative to do everything in safe mode to get a satisfactory result.
Here’s a quick guide to get it started:
- We press the combination Win + R and enter msconfig in a new window, then click on Enter.
- In the lower left part of the window there should be “Safe Boot”, select it and click on the “Apply” button.
- We reboot the computer.
As soon as the PC is restarted in safe mode, you need to check the ability to run the console as an administrator (command line or PowerShell). After that, we sequentially enter the following commands:
- Sfc scan. Command sfc / scannow starts checking the file system. There is some possibility that this procedure will not work. In this case, we can try sfc / scannow / offbootdir = c: / offwindir = c: windows…
- Analysis of the DISM system. Here it is desirable to enter several commands, after each pressing Enter: Dism / Online / Cleanup-Image / CheckHealth, Dism / Online / Cleanup-Image / ScanHealth, Dism / Online / Cleanup-Image / RestoreHealth…
- Checking the hard drive. The procedure will take about 15 minutes. During this time, the system will scan the HDD and try to fix the problems found, if any. The procedure is started with the command chkdsk C: / f / r / x…
Changing the sound scheme
For reasons not fully understood, switching to a different sound scheme can help fix a file system error. We will not speculate on the reasons for a long time, we will simply describe what helped several other users on the forum:
- Right-click on the speaker icon on the taskbar (in the lower right corner) and select the “Sounds” option.
- On the “Sounds” tab, select “Sound scheme” – “No sounds” or, if such an option is present, “By default Windows”.
- Apply the changes and restart the computer.
Replacing the theme with the default one
Third-party Windows 10 themes can cause file system problems, at least a couple of user reports indicate that. Fortunately, this is easy to change.
- Press Win + I and in the “Options” window go to the “Personalization” section.
- Click on the “Themes” tab, then – “Theme Options”.
- Scroll down to the “Default Themes” list and select one of the available options.
- Log out and log back in.
Removing the Microsoft Store cache
Cumulative Microsoft Store data can trigger Windows 10 error 1073740791. Clearing the cache can often help if the problem was actually in it. Considering that we have ruled out many others, this method has a really good chance of success.
What should be done:
- We press the combination Win + R.
- Insert a record into the execute line wsreset.exe…
- The procedure for deleting temporary files should go through automatically.
Create a new account
This is the last method on the list in exactly that order and should be approached. It helps in situations where the file system error 1073740791 is related to user data. The problem is that this method involves deleting the current account and creating a new one. Data stored in C: Users will be lost[ник пользователя]… It is worth making a backup of these files in advance. The rest of the information will not be affected.
Detailed guide to creating a regular account:
- Click on Start and go to “Options”.
- We select the item “Accounts” and select “Login with a local account” in the right pane.
- We indicate the necessary data to create an account and complete the procedure for generating it.
How to create an account with administrator rights
- Go to “Options”.
- On the same “Accounts” page, go to the “Family and other people” section.
- We select “Add user for this computer”.
- In the “Family and other people” window, click on the “Change account type” button. To do this, the current profile must have the appropriate permissions.
- We expose “Administrator” and click on the “OK” button.
All that remains is to switch to a new account and check the result. If everything works fine, the error should no longer appear, just delete the old profile.
As of today, that’s all we know about file system error 1073740791 in Windows 10. If you have anything to add or have questions, ask them in the comments.