How to get rid of “Oh no, the application has stopped working!” in Far Cry 6
Error “Oh no, the application has stopped working!” may occur during the launch of Far Cry 6 – the last installment in the mega-popular Ubisoft franchise. In fact, the error is the most common crash.
Far Cry 6 often crashes due to the fault of the graphics driver of the video card or damaged files of the game itself, but there are other, more specific reasons.
Reasons for “Oh no, the application has stopped working!” in Far Cry 6
- Lack of administrator account rights. Sometimes programs running in the background of Windows can interfere with the launch of Far Cry 6, and all because the latter is not launched as an administrator.
- Corrupted or missing Far Cry 6. In a number of specific cases, the files of a brand new Ubisoft toy may be damaged or deleted from the players’ computers. Why this is happening – one can only guess.
- An outdated version of Windows. Modern video games require the most current versions of Windows. If your PC is missing a number of Windows updates, then some games may stop working properly or even refuse to start.
- Outdated graphics driver. The most common reason behind the appearance of the error “Oh no, the application has stopped working!” Are outdated video card drivers. Want to play new games? Update video drivers at a run!
- A firewall or antivirus has blocked the game. Such situations rarely occur, but firewall and antivirus – both system and third-party developers – can block the execution of Far Cry 6 for some reason.
Solution “Oh no, the application has stopped working!” in Far Cry 6
Run as administrator
Some users note that they managed to get rid of the crashes of Far Cry 6 by running it as administrator. It’s incredibly easy to do this:
- go to the root folder of Far Cry 6, for example, C: Program Files Epic Games Far Cry 6;
- right-click on the FarCry6.exe file and select “Run as administrator”.
If the game really lacked the privileges of an administrator account, Far Cry 6 will launch without any problems – the error “Oh no, the application has stopped working!” will not arise.
Checking the integrity of game files
It is possible that Far Cry 6 crashes on your PC due to the fact that some game files have been damaged, modified or deleted. Fortunately, you can remedy the situation by using utilities to check the integrity of game files, which are built into the Epic Games Store and Ubisoft Connect launchers.
Epic Games Store
- Open the Epic Games Store Launcher;
- go to the “Library” section using the panel on the left side of the window;
- find “Far Cry 6” in the list and click on the three dots icon, which will be located under the cover of the game;
- select the “Check” item and wait until the end of checking the game files.
- Launch the Ubisoft Connect launcher;
- then go to the “Games” section and select “Far Cry 6” from the available games;
- click on the item “Properties” located on the left side of the window;
- go to the “Local files” section and click on the “Check files” option;
- wait until the end of the check, then click on the “Restore” button, if it appears in front of you.
Has your launcher found and repaired any damage? Then crashes with the error “Oh no, the application has stopped working!” in Far Cry 6 should stop.
Installing deferred Windows updates
Having an up-to-date version of Windows is the minimum requirement for most modern video games. Far Cry 6 will not launch without Windows 10 64-bit build 2H10 or higher. Simply put, the owners of Windows 7, Windows 8, and even some builds of Windows 10 may, in principle, not play the new Far Cry if they do not update their OS.
To start installing Windows 10 updates, you need to do the following:
- press WIN + I on the keyboard to open the “Options” window;
- open the section “Update and Security”, then – in the subsection “Windows Update”;
- then click on the “Check for Updates” button;
- wait for all available updates to finish.
Don’t worry if your PC reboots during the Windows 10 update – this is a scheduled event. Once you have full control of your system, launch Far Cry 6 to check for the error “Oh no, the application has stopped working!”
Updating the graphics card driver
To play Far Cry 6, you must have the most up-to-date graphics drivers installed on your computer. To “cleanly” update the video card drivers, you need to do the following:
- right-click on the Start menu and select “Device Manager”;
- open the “Video adapters” section and find your video card;
- right-click on the video card and select “Remove device”;
- restart your computer and download new graphics drivers from the following links:
- run the downloaded file as administrator and follow the instructions of the installer.
After updating the video card drivers, check for the error “Oh no, the application has stopped working!” in Far Cry 6.
Disable antivirus and add Far Cry 6 to firewall exceptions
System antivirus and firewall periodically begin to overly zealously protect Windows 10, blocking certain programs that are critical to the user. Unfortunately, these blocked programs may include Far Cry 6. What can you do? The answer is to disable your antivirus and add the game executable to your firewall exceptions list. Here’s how it’s done:
- open “Options” by pressing WIN + I on your keyboard;
- go to the path “Update and Security” → “Windows Security”;
- select “Protection against viruses and threats” to open a new window;
- go down a little lower and click on “Manage settings”;
- set the real-time protection switch to the “off” position;
- close the current window and go back to Windows security;
- click on the item “Firewall and network protection” – another window will open;
- at the bottom of the window, click on the item “Allow work with the application through a firewall”;
- click on the “Change parameters” button, find “Far Cry 6” in the list and check the boxes for it in the “Private” and “Public” columns;
- and finally click “OK” and close all open windows.
Done, the system antivirus and firewall have been “pacified” – it’s time to check if the error “Oh no, the application has stopped working!” Far Cry 6 or not.