How to set up automatic deletion of YouTube browsing history?
Google already offers a tool that can automatically delete the history of search and video views from YouTube. In the default state, information is stored all the time, but the user can manually erase it. Automation of the process is now available by automatically cleaning data once a season or once a year and a half.
Similar auto-delete settings are available for both location history and app usage history. The procedure does not imply change of privacy settings, which is customary in the understanding of users, with hiding of individual data. A full cleanup occurs, meaning that previously viewed videos will not be used to compile a selection of featured videos.
Automatically delete history from YouTube app on smartphone
The functionality of the mobile application is sufficient for setting up a self-deleting history. This is extremely relevant, given that more than half of all views were made from smartphones or tablets.
How to set up automatic history cleaning:
- Launch the YouTube app on your own device. It is usually available on one of the home screens. If you cannot find the application, you can use a personal assistant or open the general menu of the installed software.
- Click on your personal avatar in the upper right corner of the application.
- Scroll to the end of the list of options and click on the “Settings” option.
- Select “History and Privacy” from the list of groups.
- Tap the Activity Tracking section. The application should redirect to the Google page with a list of available YouTube history settings.
- We find the block with the inscription “History will be stored until you delete it manually” and click “Delete automatically” under it.
- We set the parameter “Store for 18 months” or “Store for 3 months”, then the history will be deleted automatically and click on the button “Next”.
- The service redirects to a page explaining the consequences of this decision. He will also show some examples of personal history data that will be automatically deleted. It remains only to “Confirm” the action with the button of the same name.
If you don’t want to keep your browsing history, you can stop recording it. True, this will negatively affect the selection of interesting videos, but will significantly increase privacy. The principle of operation is similar, but after step 4, you need to activate the “Do not record browsing history” item.
Automatic deletion of history from My Google Activity
The method is applicable in cases when there is no access to the mobile application. It can be used on a computer or smartphone via a browser.
How it works:
- Go to page YouTube stories… The link will only work if the user is logged into the Google profile associated with YouTube. It’s okay if you haven’t signed in, you can complete it right now.
- In the right block, click on the “Delete automatically” link.
- Choose one of the options for storing history by duration: indefinitely, 18 months, or 3 months. After the specified time period has expired, the service usage data will be cleared automatically. Once a suitable cleaning frequency has been determined, it is worth clicking on the “Next” button.
- In a warning window, Google informs about the consequences, here you need to “Confirm” the change of parameters.
Instead of the first step, you can get to the same page after going to My Google Activity and selecting the Activity Tracking tab. In the “YouTube History” item, you need to click on “Manage History”.
I would like to see more options for customizing your YouTube story in the future. Something like more choice of deletion frequency or daily limit. Until the corresponding changes appear on the service, you can always go back and manually remove the history.