If, when you try to open the site, a message appears with the INET_E_DOWNLOAD_FAILURE code at the end, we recommend trying to load the page in another browser. If you’ve used IE or Edge before, you should switch to Google Chrome or vice versa. We recommend that you check if an error or problem is displayed everywhere in a particular browser. It can be provoked by both trivial problems with the cache, cookies or browser settings, and incorrect Internet parameters.
How to fix INET_E_DOWNLOAD_FAILURE error?
Having found out that the problem is only in one browser, we can eliminate all system failures and vice versa: if the problem is everywhere, then the failure is not in a specific web browser. If the local site does not load, it is worth looking at the parameters of the installed certificate and HTTP headers, something may be configured incorrectly.
Method 1: use the troubleshooter
The error with the Inet_E_Download_Failure message may be due to temporary failures in the Internet connection module. In such a case, a troubleshooting tool should help.
How to start it:
- We launch the browser and open the problem website.
- In the window with a message about the breakdown, click “Fix connection problems”.
- We authorize the fix tool to fully diagnose the system for problems.
- Check if the problem is resolved.
Important! It happens that the system somehow incorrectly reacts to certain frequencies of the router. If you have a dual-band router, we recommend switching to one of the 2.4 or 5 GHz bands and then to the other. You need to see if something changes. Maybe it works.
Method 2: clearing the Credential Manager
Credential Manager caching may have been corrupted for a specific site or all web resources at once. Removing the information can fix the problem.
- We enter into the search “Credential Manager” and open it.
- First, expand the list of “Credentials for the Internet” and delete the entries related to the site.
- We repeat the procedure for the “Windows Credentials” block.
- We confirm the deletion and restart the computer.
Method 3: clear cache and cookies
If the problem is in the cache or cookies, it is worth clearing them. We can do this in approximately the same way in all browsers. Most often, the window for deleting temporary data can be invoked by the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Shift + Del.
Method 4: change advanced browser settings
In browsers, some individual settings can cause Inet_E_Download_Failure errors like Windows Authentication. Their incorrect configuration often provokes breakdowns of web browsers. Resetting or editing the parameters should help.
How to fix the problem:
- Disable Integrated Windows Authentication. To do this, open the browser properties, go to the “Advanced” section and remove the flag next to the item of the same name (in the “Security” block).
- Restore advanced settings. This function can also be found in the settings in the “Advanced” section.
- Do not save encrypted pages to disk. The option is located in the same place.
Factory reset is even more effective, but it is applicable if you are not afraid of losing your data.
Method 5: add the site to the verified list
By adding a site to the list of trusted, trusted web browsers will be less picky about it. In particular, it may allow it to run its HTTP version if the default is HTTPS.
What do we have to do:
- Open “Browser Properties” and go to the “Security” section.
- Select the item “Trusted sites” and click on the item “Sites”.
- Uncheck the option “Require HTTPS server verification …”, but only if the HTTP connection is configured properly.
- We save the change.
Method 6: remove conflicting applications or extensions
Some users reported that uninstalling some programs helped them. Mostly they pointed out the culprits of the problem:
- Ghostery Midnight or Ghostery extension;
- BitDefender antivirus;
- SonicWALL TZ500;
- various VPN applications, including Psiphon.
To check if this is the case, you can boot the system in safe mode. If everything works as it should, it’s really a matter of software. Otherwise, the breakage should be looked for in other places.
Method 7: using the command line
There is an option to start debug mode for Edge, but it’s not very convenient to do it manually. Better to use command line and command CheckNetIsolation LoopbackExempt -a -n = “Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe”after which it is better to restart the PC.
The manual provides all the necessary keys to resolve the INET_E_DOWNLOAD_FAILURE error. If done correctly, the problem should no longer appear in IE, Edge, or any other browser.