Error code 0xc004f017 always appears when trying to activate your Microsoft Office. It occurs in all versions of the office suite, for example, in Office 2013, Office 2016, Office 2019 and Office 365. Moreover, an error can be displayed both when entering the license key and when trying to activate the software using KMS Auto. Of course, we do not approve of the pirated use of software. Our current goal is to deal with error 0xc004f017, which also affects users of licensed software.
You may get one of the following types of error:
ERROR CODE: 0xC004F017
ERROR TEXT: The Software Licensing Service reported that the license is not installed.
Error: 0xC004F074 The Software Licensing Service reported that the computer could not be activated. The Key Management Service (KMS) is unavailable
What should you try?
There are several known procedures to fix error 0xC004F017 when activating Microsoft Office. With no input, we will have to advise you to try each of them. Some of the above should work. However, your first step should be to download the official installer. Better to do it again from the Microsoft website. If the online installer doesn’t work, it’s worth trying the offline installer. The offline installer can be found here… Only after trying to complete the installation in both ways can you proceed to the next steps.
1) Complete reinstallation
Some people write that they cannot activate Microsoft Office even after reinstallation, but their main mistake is not to remove the remnants of the application. After a simple uninstallation of the software, user data, configs, temporary files are always left. This is done in order to preserve the personal settings of applications, but in the case of Word, Excel and other components of the office suite, this is not so important.
How to fix error 0xC004F017:
- Open Programs and Features, select Microsoft Office and click Remove.
- Clean up traces of using the program. You need to delete files here C: Users User AppData Roaming Microsoft Office and C: Users User AppData Roaming Microsoft Word. Also here C: Program Files (x86) Microsoft Office.
- Install new MS Office from an online or offline distribution.
- Try to activate.
2) Repair Microsoft Office
The installer itself has a built-in tool for scanning the state of Microsoft Office, and it copes with its tasks quite well. It automatically fixes many problems, including activation.
What should be done:
- Through the PCM on Start, select “Programs and Features”.
- Right-click on MS Office and select “Change”.
- Set the flag to the “Restore” point and click “Next”.
3) Clean up temporary Windows Update files
For Windows to allow deleting its cached files, the service must be disabled, otherwise they will be backed up by the system. Below is a step-by-step instruction:
- Insert “services.msc” into Windows search and open the only file found.
- Find the Windows Update service, right-click on it and select Stop.
- Minimize the window and start the Run line (Win + R combination).
- Paste the path% windir% SoftwareDistribution DataStore and press Enter.
- When the desired folder opens in Windows, you need to press the Ctrl + A combination and delete all contents, including folders.
- Expand the services window, right-click on Windows Update and start the service.
4) Correct the registry
There are several parameters in the registry that contain the paths for installing Microsoft Office, because of them, an error with the code 0xC004F017 may appear.
- Press the combination Win + R, insert regedit and click on the “OK” button.
- Go to the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE Policies Microsoft Windows WindowsUpdate.
- Try to find the WUServer and WIStatusServer parameters, they may be in the right workspace. However, the listed parameters may not exist, then this method will be inapplicable.
- Delete both parameters and close Registry Editor.
5) Through the command line
This procedure is applicable for those who are trying to activate MS Office through the console with the slmgr.vbs / ato command. It returns error 0xC004F074.
- Manually set the port and name of the KMS server using the command cscript c: windows system32 slmgr.vbs / skms kmsservername: 1688…
- Start autoactivation with the cscript c: windows system32 slmgr.vbs / ato command.
The listed procedures are applicable to all methods of activating Microsoft Office that previously caused 0xC004F074, both through entering the license key and the console, additional software.