The computer does not have enough RAM: reasons, solutions
Every computer requires memory (random access memory or RAM) to function properly. Without it, technology cannot perform operations instantly or smoothly start processes in the background. Unlike other data stores such as a hard disk, RAM can process information almost immediately when needed.
The amount of memory on each computer depends on the hardware. The need for it has increased over the years to meet the ever-growing demands of running applications and modern operating systems such as Windows 10. Most devices are now sold with at least 8GB of RAM. At the same time, if the volume required to run all current processes and applications exceeds that installed on the equipment, this may lead to the appearance of the notification “There is not enough memory on the computer.”
The message can appear both when Windows starts, and at random moments during the computer’s operation. This problem is especially common on devices with 4 GB of RAM or less. One of the easiest and most logical ways to fix a mistake is to increase the amount of RAM, which will require the physical acquisition of new equipment. However, for some users this option may not work. In addition, on laptops and other portable devices, this process requires the purchase of a component specifically for this model, as well as the help of a specialist. Below are ways to increase the amount of memory at the system level.
Solution 1. Disable startup items
After installing a new program, it can be registered at startup and run together with Windows. If there are many such applications, they can significantly slow down the startup of the computer and take up RAM. At the same time, many of them work in the background, and the user needs the programs themselves only from time to time. Therefore, the first step will be to analyze the startup list and disable programs that are not urgently needed.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard to open the Task Manager.
- Click on More if not all processes are displayed in the window.
- Go to the Startup tab.
- Here, select programs that are not used constantly and disable them.
Solution 2: Install all available Windows updates
One of the reasons for the appearance of the message “There is not enough memory on the computer” may be some problem in the system, so it is worth installing the latest updates that fix possible errors.
- Press the keyboard shortcuts Win + X, and select Control Panel from the menu that opens.
- Next, go to the Windows Update section and check for updates.
- After installing them, you should restart your computer.
Solution 3: Increase the paging file size
The paging file is used by Windows to manage virtual memory. If it is too small, the above message may appear on your computer.
- Type sysdm.cpl in Windows search and press Enter.
- Open the found file, and go to the Advanced tab.
- Click Options under Performance.
- In the next window, select the Advanced tab again.
- In the Virtual Memory section, click Change to set the required paging file size.
- Uncheck the Automatically select paging file size checkbox.
- Please indicate your size below yourself.
- The initial and maximum size is set in megabytes.
- Then click Set and Ok.
- You must reboot the system for the changes to take effect.
Note: Microsoft recommends using a virtual memory size no more than 3 times the RAM you have installed.
Solution 4. Check your computer for malware
Scan your computer with antivirus software to ensure the error is not caused by malware. If you have third-party software installed, run a full system scan. If using built-in Windows Defender, do a full scan.
- Go to Control Panel as described in the second solution.
- Select the Windows Defender section.
- Run a full scan.
Solution 5. Check the disk for errors
An out of memory message can also appear if there are corrupted files on the disk. You need to check this with the built-in tool.
- Press the Win + X keyboard shortcut and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Copy and paste the following command: chkdsk C: / f / r / x
- Press Enter to start the process.
- If an error message appears, type Y and press Enter.
- Restart your computer to start scanning.
Solution 6. Clean up your computer from temporary files
From time to time it is necessary to clear the disk of temporary files. To do this, you can use special applications that will do it automatically or do everything manually.
- Open any folder and click on This PC on the left.
- Right-click on your primary drive (C: by default) and select Properties.
- Open the General tab, and click Disk Cleanup.
- In the next window, check the boxes which files to delete.
- After that, select the option: Clean up system files and click OK.
- Go back to the previous window and click Apply.