what is this file, why is it missing and how to get it back
The d3dx9_39.dll file missing error usually occurs after launching various programs and games. The error message may include the following information:
The program cannot start because d3dx9_39.dll is missing on the computer. Try reinstalling the program.
Theoretically, such an error can appear when launching almost any application for Windows, but most often it pesters primarily gamers trying to launch some kind of toy.
What is d3dx9_39.dll?
d3dx9_39.dll is a dynamic link library (DLL) that is included with the Microsoft DirectX Executable Library package. From the name of the library, you can understand that it is related to DirectX 9 – today it is already an outdated API. More specifically, this library is included in the June 2010 DirectX Library Redistributable Package. The package comes with many old games / programs and is optional.
Why is there an error with the d3dx9_39.dll file?
Let’s say you are running a DirectX-dependent application. The application being launched may try to access the d3dx9_39.dll library. The d3dx9_39.dll missing error appears when the application cannot access this library. This situation can occur if the library is not present on the user’s computer (as indicated in the error message) or if it has been damaged / modified.
How to fix d3dx9_39.dll missing error?
Fortunately, an error with such a library can be easily solved using several of the same elementary methods. We will take a look at the latter right now.
Method # 1 DirectX Upgrade
d3dx9_39.dll is missing from your PC? Then we go to the Microsoft website for the appropriate set of libraries and install it. Go to following linkto start downloading the directx_Jun2010_redist.exe installer. Once the file is uploaded, do the following:
- right click on it and select “Run as administrator”.
- click “Yes” in the window with the license agreement and select the directory into which the installation files will be unzipped;
- then find the executable file DXSETUP.exe among the unpacked libraries and run it as administrator;
- in the installation window, accept the terms of the license agreement and click “Next” two times;
- wait for the installation to complete and restart your computer.
Method # 2 Deleting / renaming a DLL file
If for some reason you were unable to update DirectX, as demonstrated above, then perhaps d3dx9_39.dll is already on your computer, but it is corrupted / modified. In this case, you need to get deep into your system and get rid of the incorrectly working file. This can be done as follows:
- open Windows Explorer (for example, RMB to Start → Explorer);
- go to the directory Windows System32 ;
- find the d3dx9_39.dll file in this system folder and get rid of it;
- repeat the process, but only for the Windows SysWOW64 directory;
The note: alternatively, you can simply rename the files to something else instead of deleting.
- restart your computer and update DirectX using the above method.
Method # 3 Updating video card drivers
In rare cases, errors with DLL files, including those with d3dx9_39.dll, can occur due to outdated video card drivers. Have you updated your graphics drivers in a while? Then the problem may lie precisely in them. Use the following links to download the latest video drivers:
Next, run the downloaded installer (required as an administrator) and follow the instructions on the screen. That’s right, it’s that simple. After updating the video card drivers, restart your computer and check for an error with the d3dx9_39.dll file.